Crime Bulletin: Strong-arm Robbery Attempt Near Campus
LEXINGTON, Ky. (Sept. 3, 2013) — In the interest of safety, the University of Kentucky Police Department has issued the following Crime Bulletin for the UK community.
At approximately 1 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2013, UK Police received a report regarding an attempted strong-arm robbery that occurred near the intersection of Virginia Avenue and Press Avenue. The female victim, UK student, was approached by one unknown male subject. The subject reportedly demanded of the victim to borrow and then hand over their cell phone and was pushed by the subject when the victim did not comply.
The suspect fled the scene and was last seen running east toward campus on Virginia Avenue before jumping into the passenger side of a vehicle described as a White Chevrolet Tahoe. The suspect is described as a black male in his 20s, thin build, approximately 5’10” tall, wearing a white T-shirt with a graphic design and a baseball cap.
If anyone has any information regarding this incident, please contact UK Police at 859-257-8573.
The University of Kentucky values a safe community for all students, staff, faculty, and visitors. In the interest of promoting a safe and secure campus environment, UK Police offer the following safety precautions:
• If you see something, say something. For emergencies, call 911.
• Carry a cell phone to be able to call for help in emergencies.
• Do not travel alone after dark; walk with a friend or with a group.
• Whenever possible, look out for your friends when you go out together; walk together and make sure that everyone gets home safely.
• Request a FREE SAFECATS student safety escort or coordinate after-hours on-demand bus service during the fall and spring semesters by calling 859-257-SAFE(7233).
• Park in well-lit areas when possible.
• Turn over any requested items (purse, wallet, etc.).
• Make statements with authority – “BACK-OFF! STOP! NO-WAY!” You deserve to be respected.