LEXINGTON, Ky. (Feb. 11, 2014) ― The exceptionally harsh winter conditions lately have resulted in some snowy/icy conditions. UK Physical Plant Division's (PPD) Grounds crews have worked around the clock to clear campus sidewalks, parking lots and streets that allow for access to all buildings. To help ensure safety when walking on and around campus, pedestrians should use good practices.
UK Environmental Health and Safety has some helpful advice for students, employees and visitors to campus to prevent injuries due to falls:
- Always utilize Priority #1 routes, the areas cleared first by UK PPD. (See the UK Snow Removal Plan at http://www.ppd.uky.edu/snow_removal/)
- Wear sturdy footwear with a good grip -- you can always change when you reach your destination. Proper footwear should place the entire foot on the surface of the ground and have visible treads. Avoid a smooth sole and opt for a heavy treaded shoe with a flat bottom.
- insulated boots with good rubber treads
- rubber over-shoes with good treads
- Be careful when shifting your weight. Walk at a slower pace, take short steps, and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- if you’re carrying something such as a backback it may cause an imbalance.
- Avoid walking with your hands in your pockets; keeping your hands free helps with balance.
- Walk even more slowly on stairs. Utilize the handrail when going up or down.
- Plan Ahead - avoid areas with poor lighting. Wear bright clothing or reflective gear. Avoid taking shortcuts that may not be cleared properly. Wear sunglasses on sunny days to help you see better.
- Anticipate black ice. Be aware that black ice can look like wet pavement. Use special care when entering or exiting vehicles.
- Watch for areas where melting and refreezing may persist, including parking lot drainage areas, roof gutters, and piles of snow where melting and refreezing can continue for weeks.
- Be on the lookout for sliding, out-of-control vehicles.
- Enter a building carefully. Remove as much snow as possible from shoes and boots before entering a building.
- Stay on mats inside buildings
- Be aware of wet and/or slick surfaces
If at any time areas on UK's Priority #1 paths for snow removal need attention, please contact PPD Grounds at 859-257-3105.