UK Art School to Open Studios for the Holidays
LEXINGTON, Ky. (Nov. 26, 2012) — The University of Kentucky School of Art and Visual Studies opens its doors to the public again this holiday season. The entire Bluegrass community is invited to come discover UK's creative artists at the popular Open Studio event. Come see what the university's student and faculty artists have been crafting and shop for one-of-a-kind gifts from 6 to 10 p.m. Friday, Nov. 30, at Reynolds Building No. 1, located at 349 Scott St.
This popular annual event gives individuals an opportunity to see the different artwork created by UK's undergraduate students, graduate students, and faculty. There will be lots of artwork on display including metalwork, fiber, paintings, photographs, drawings, ceramics, plaster casts, printmaking and woodwork by the university's own talented artists.
Other festivities scheduled for Open Studio 2012 are:
· the Carey Ellis Juried Student Art Exhibition, featuring nearly 100 pieces of art by graduate and undergraduate art students, guest curated this year by noted Lexington artist Louis Zoellar Bickett II;
· an awards program for winning art in the Carey Ellis Juried Student Show and art scholarships at 8 p.m., in the Barnhart Gallery;
· creative activities for kids presented by students in the UK Art Education Program;
· a ceramics production demonstration;
· art demonstrations and displays of students' new and original works;
· an art sale, including the popular ceramic bowl sale; and
· live music performances and refreshments.
In addition to the events at the Reynolds Building, visitors to Open Studio will also have opportunities to explore the school's new facility at the University Lofts, which is set to open in spring of 2014.
A donation of $5 to the UK School of Art and Visual Studies is suggested for entry to Open Studio. Proceeds go to various programs provided by the school. Free parking for individuals attending Open Studio can be found nearby on both Broadway and Scott Street. To find out more about Open Studio, contact Dmitry Strakovsky, assistant professor of new media, at 859-257-2727.
The UK School of Art and Visual Studies in the UK College of Fine Arts is an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in the fields of art studio, art history and art education.
MEDIA CONTACT: Whitney Hale, (859) 257-8716 or email@example.com