UK Women & Philanthropy Network Awards Over $243,000 to Eight Academic Initiatives for 2015
LEXINGTON, Ky. (Jan. 27, 2016) — Eight academic initiatives at the University of Kentucky have been cumulatively awarded $243,035 by the UK Women & Philanthropy Network, an organization committed to bringing together women who “share the ambition of building a better UK” through philanthropy, announced Paula Pope, director of special projects in the UK Office of Philanthropy.
“The selected proposals for 2015 were excellent as the membership found them to demonstrate creativity, innovation and a commitment to student success,” Pope said. “2015 marked a record year for the Women & Philanthropy Network as it awarded nearly $244,000 for academic grants. We are most grateful to this organization’s leaders and members for their commitment to UK’s students and their academic excellence through philanthropic support.”
Grant funds were awarded to support the following programs:
· “Supporting High Unmet Need for STEMCats Students in Fast Track,” College of Arts & Sciences, $9,750
· “Preparing Behavior Analysts to Work with High-Needs Populations,” College of Education, $50,000
· “UK Chorale Performance at New York City’s Carnegie Hall,” College of Fine Arts, $20,544
· “Preparing Teachers for Work in Urban Schools,” College of Education, $29,000
· “UK Symphony Outreach and Service,” College of Fine Arts, $30,000
· “Workshop Production of Bounce: The Basketball Opera,” College of Fine Arts, $50,000
· “Physical Therapy Scholarships for Women of Minority Backgrounds and Non-Traditional Students,” College of Health Sciences, $20,000
· “Leading for Deeper Meaning Scholarships,” College of Education, $33,741
“The University of Kentucky is most appreciative of the Women & Philanthropy Network and co-chairs Marie Cull and Bonnie Mays for their support of this initiative,” said Mike Richey, vice president for philanthropy and chief philanthropy officer at UK. “Their steadfast commitment to and efforts in raising funds in support of our students’ academic pursuits is invaluable and we are most grateful.”
Since 2009, the UK Women & Philanthropy Network has awarded grants for scholarships, fellowships, travel abroad, research and special programs totaling nearly $1.3 million. The organization maintains a two-fold purpose: to raise philanthropic support for such academic initiatives and to recruit women across Kentucky and the nation committed to supporting a culture of philanthropy at the University of Kentucky.
A call for 2016 proposals will be announced in the spring with a deadline of June 15. For information concerning the University of Kentucky Women & Philanthropy Network or the 2016 funding cycle, please write or call Pope at the Office of Philanthropy, William B. Sturgill Building, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506-0015; (859) 257-3187; or email her at email@example.com. The network is online at www.uky.edu/womenandphilanthropy and www.facebook.com/UKWomenandPhilanthropy.
MEDIA CONTACT: Marc C. Whitt, 859-257-7825, firstname.lastname@example.org