LEXINGTON, Ky. (Sept. 5, 2018) — The University of Kentucky's Fine Arts Institute will offer a variety of classes this fall that explore various aspects of art and creativity. The classes are all available as noncredit art courses and are ideal for adults with busy work schedules. This fall's 15 courses and workshops range anywhere from drawing and photography to ceramics and metalworking. The institute takes the beginner to more advanced student in a variety of mediums.
Four times a year, UK Fine Arts Institute offers weekly classes as well as some weekend workshops in the visual arts to accommodate various types of schedules for individuals hoping to better their skills in the field. Most classes meet once a week during the evening for anywhere between three to 12 weeks. This fall's classes and workshops will be held in the UK Art and Visual Studies Building and the UK Metal Arts Building.
Registration is now open for the fall session and includes the following classes:
- "Beginning Ceramics" with Jill Coldiron, 6-9 p.m. Thursdays, beginning Sept. 20.; and
- “Taking Ceramics to the Next Level" with Coldiron, 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Sept. 18.
- "Explorations in Drawing" with Christine Kuhn, 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Sept. 11; and
- "Open Drawing Sessions" with Brandon Smith (Thursdays) and Anthony Roccanova (Saturdays), 6-8 p.m. Thursdays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays, throughout the fall.
- "Metalworking" with Jeremy Colbert, 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Sept. 11.
- "Layering it On: Mixed Media Painting Techniques" with Christine Kuhn, 6:30-9 p.m. Thursdays, beginning Sept. 13.
- "Learn to Paint. Yes, You Can!" with Christine Kuhn, 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays, beginning Sept. 12; and
- "Contemporary Painting Techniques" with Lennon Michalski, 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays, beginning Oct. 3.
- "Woodworking for Beginners" with Lynn Sweet, 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Sept. 4
- "Woodworking Joinery for Veterans" with Sweet, 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Sept. 4.
The following workshops during the fall session offer more abbreviated class experiences in a workshop format:
Digital Image Editing
- "One Day Crash Course in Photoshop" with Lennon Michalski, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 20.
- "Handmade Felted Fabric: Beginning Feltloom" with Laverne Zabielski, 10 a.m.- noon Saturdays, Sept. 22 and Oct. 20;
- "Handmade Felted Fabric: Advanced Feltloom" with Zabielski, 5-7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 2, and 10 a.m.-noon Saturday, Oct. 27; and
- "The Art of Silk Dying" with Zabielski, 10 a.m.-noon Saturdays, beginning Oct. 6.
- "One Day Digital Camera Workshop" with Lennon Michalski, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 13.
For more information on any of these classes and workshops or their instructors, including cost and specific class times, visit the institute online at https://finearts.uky.edu/savs/fai or visit the institute’s Facebook page here.
The Fine Arts Institute, an outreach program of the School of Art and Visual Studies at the UK College of Fine Arts, offers all the resources and classrooms that the school has to offer through these noncredit art classes. All courses and workshops are open to the public.
Registration for UK Fine Arts Institute courses is available online at https://finearts.uky.edu/savs/fai/registration, by calling the institute at 859-218-5984, or by emailing Donna Farmer at email@example.com.
UK is the University for Kentucky. At UK, we are educating more students, treating more patients with complex illnesses and conducting more research and service than at any time in our 150-year history. To read more about the UK story and how you can support continued investment in your university and the Commonwealth, go to: uky.edu/uk4ky. #uk4ky #seeblue