LEXINGTON, Ky. (Sept. 11, 2023) — The University of Kentucky will host Family Weekend 2023 Sept. 22-24. Hosted by the Parent and Family Association, housed in the Office for Student Success, Family Weekend is a time for families to return to campus to visit their students, celebrate their accomplishments and take part in a wide variety of events that showcase the best of UK and the Lexington community.
“We can’t wait to welcome you to campus for Family Weekend later this month,” said Nicki Jenkins, director of Parent and Family Engagement. “Family Weekend is a great time to enjoy campus life with your Wildcat, learn about amazing programs and traditions, and make special memories.”
Family Weekend 2023 will be held on a weekend when a UK home football game is not scheduled. While this is unlike previous Family Weekends, the Parent and Family Association has still planned a great weekend full of fun and exciting events.
This year’s Family Weekend will boast new events like the Wildcat Family Huddle, Family Reunions, special tours, UK vs. Vanderbilt Game Watch, Wellness Retreat, and more, while also bringing back fan favorites like the Tent Party and A Taste of the Kentucky Doughnut Trail. Visit Lex will also offer discounts to local restaurants and families will receive Uber discounts in the Family Weekend guide.
To get you prepped for your visit, the Parent and Family Association encourages you to review the checklist below:
- Download UK Guides (if you didn’t already during Big Blue Nation Orientation) and add the Family Weekend guide. There you’ll find the full schedule of events and all the info you need on the go while you’re here.
- Review your registration in the Cat Chat Family Community. Have you registered everyone coming with you, including your UK student? If not, add any registrations prior to 4 p.m. on Sept. 22. Is your student’s name and ID number on your profile in the Cat Chat Family Community? Linking your information to your student will make checking into events easier during Family Weekend.
- Check in for Family Weekend! Check-in will take place in the Cats Den on the first floor of the Gatton Student Center (past Subway) from 9 a.m.–5 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 21, and from 9 a.m.–8 p.m. Friday, Sept. 22. Check-in will also be available from 1–5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 22, at Kroger Field.
- Pro tip: Send your student to check in your family prior to your arrival to avoid lines and get the fun started. All your student will need is the name of the person who registered your family and their BBNvolved Event Pass. The BBNvolved Event Pass is a unique QR code that students will use to check themselves and their families into events during Family Weekend. Not only is the BBNvolved Event Pass used to take attendance for Family Weekend events, but students will continue to use it throughout their entire time at UK as their "ticket" to attend many events put on by student organizations.
- To find their BBNvolved Event Pass, students should:
- Open a web browser and go to https://uky.campuslabs.com/engage/eventpass.
- Log in using their LinkBlue ID and password.
- Save this QR code on their phone. They can add it to their Apple Wallet or Google Pay, screenshot it, or print a copy to bring with them to events.
- Family members wishing to check in without their student present will need their student's name and UKY email address.
- During Check-in, all Family Weekend participants will receive a Family Weekend VIP pass on a lanyard that they will also be required to show for admission to all Parent and Family Association events during Family Weekend including the Wildcat Family Huddle, ThinkFast Trivia, Tent Party, the Taste of the Kentucky Doughnut Trail, and more.
- Review the Family Weekend schedule online or in the UK Guides app, decide which events your family wants to attend, and make a plan for getting around campus to those events. In the schedule, you’ll find information on parking and accessibility. On a busy fall weekend on campus, having a parking plan is always a good idea.
- Bring your Family Weekend questions to Cat Chat Live on Sept. 13 at 12:30 p.m. ET. During this live chat, you can view a presentation about Family Weekend and get your questions answered in real-time. If you can’t join the chat live, it will be available on the UK Parent and Family Association Facebook page and on YouTube for viewing at your convenience.
- Get ready to have fun and make memories with your Wildcat family!
After Family Weekend, families can stay connected with UK through the Cat Chat Family Community which provides valuable information through the Parent and Family Association communication portal and the Cat Chat email newsletter. If you are not already a member of the Cat Chat Family Community, sign up at go.uky.edu/catchat today.
As the state’s flagship, land-grant institution, the University of Kentucky exists to advance the Commonwealth. We do that by preparing the next generation of leaders — placing students at the heart of everything we do — and transforming the lives of Kentuckians through education, research and creative work, service and health care. We pride ourselves on being a catalyst for breakthroughs and a force for healing, a place where ingenuity unfolds. It's all made possible by our people — visionaries, disruptors and pioneers — who make up 200 academic programs, a $476.5 million research and development enterprise and a world-class medical center, all on one campus.
In 2022, UK was ranked by Forbes as one of the “Best Employers for New Grads” and named a “Diversity Champion” by INSIGHT into Diversity, a testament to our commitment to advance Kentucky and create a community of belonging for everyone. While our mission looks different in many ways than it did in 1865, the vision of service to our Commonwealth and the world remains the same. We are the University for Kentucky.