College of Fine Arts to Hold Open Forum on New Leader of UK Art Museum
LEXINGTON, Ky. (May 8, 2013) — The public is encouraged to attend an open forum hosted by the University of Kentucky College of Fine Arts and the search committee for the next director of the Art Museum at the University of Kentucky at 6 p.m. Friday, May 17, in the Singletary Center for the Arts Recital Hall.
The search committee has been appointed to select the new director of the Art Museum at UK. Kathy Walsh-Piper, the museum’s current director, announced her retirement effective Aug. 16, 2013.
During the forum, the search committee will seek community input and discuss the hiring process. The committee will also take questions and comments from the audience. Michael Tick, dean of the College of Fine Arts, will serve as moderator to facilitate the forum.
Questions or comments can be submitted during the forum via twitter at the College of Fine Arts Twitter account, @UKFineArts. Feedback can also be submitted following the forum online at http://finearts.uky.edu/museumdirector. All feedback to the search committee should be submitted by Friday, June 14.
The members of the search committee are:
- Co-chair Michael Tick, dean of the UK College of Fine Arts;
- Co-chair Mary John O’Hair, dean of the UK College of Education;
- Sonja Brooks, teacher outreach coordinator at the Art Museum at UK;
- Peggy Collins, chair of the Art Museum at UK Collectors Committee;
- Bobbie Engle, chair of the Art Museum at UK Advisory Board;
- Jeff Fugate, executive director of Lexington Downtown Development Authority;
- Stephanie Harris, executive director of Lexington Art League and founder and director of Contemporary Dance Collective;
- Barbara Lovejoy, registrar of the Art Museum at UK;
- Andrew Maske, associate professor of art history at UK School of Art and Visual Studies;
- Ebony Patterson, associate professor of painting at UK School of Art and Visual Studies; and
- Jane Shropshire, chair of the Art Museum at UK Docent Steering Committee.
The mission of the Art Museum at UK, part of the UK College of Fine Arts, is to promote the understanding and appreciation of art to enhance the quality of life for the people of Kentucky through collecting, exhibiting, preserving and interpreting outstanding works of visual art from all cultures. Home to a collection of more than 4,500 objects, including American and European paintings, drawings, photographs, prints and sculpture, the Art Museum at UK presents both special exhibitions and shows of work from their permanent collection.
MEDIA CONTACT: Whitney Hale, (859) 257-8716; email@example.com