LEXINGTON, Ky. (May 3, 2016) — The University of Kentucky Board of Trustees today approved 17 University Research Professorships for the 2016-17 year.
To align with the overall objective for research within UK's 2015-2020 Strategic Plan, the revised University Research Professors Program now recognizes excellence across the full spectrum of research, scholarship, and creative endeavors within each college. College leadership developed criteria for excellence in research and scholarly activity within their area of expertise and then nominated faculty who excelled at these criteria.
The purpose of the revised University Research Professorship program is to recognize and publicize research accomplishments of these scholars across the full range of disciplines at UK. The award amount will be $10,000 for one year, to be used to further the research, scholarship and creative endeavors of the awardee.
“It is truly gratifying to recognize these distinguished experts who have made significant contributions in so many different fields of research at the University of Kentucky,” said Lisa Cassis, UK’s vice president for research. “The University Research Professorship Awards honor 17 members of our faculty who have demonstrated excellence in scholarship and creative work that addresses scientific, social, cultural and economic challenges in our region and around the world.”
The 2016-17 University Research Professors are:
- Arthur G. Hunt: College of Agriculture, Food and Environment; Plant and Soil Sciences
- Qiang Ye: College of Arts and Sciences; Mathematics
- Thomas R. Zentall: College of Arts and Sciences; Psychology
- Sherali Zeadally: College of Communication and Information; School of Information Science
- Jeffrey L. Ebersole: College of Dentistry; Oral Health Practice
- Gary P. Rohrbacher: College of Design; School of Architecture
- W. Brent Seales: College of Engineering; Computer Science
- Diana R. Hallman: College of Fine Arts; School of Music
- Stephen P. Borgatti: Gatton College of Business and Economics; Management
- Esther Dupont-Versteegden: College of Health Sciences; Rehabilitation Sciences
- Mary J. Davis: College of Law
- Eugenia F. Toma: Martin School of Public Policy and Administration
- Bret N. Smith: College of Medicine; Physiology
- Edward D. Hall: College of Medicine; Spinal Cord Brain Injury Research Center
- Ellen J. Hahn: College of Nursing
- Chang-Guo Zhan: College of Pharmacy; Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Terry L. Bunn: College of Public Health; Preventive Medicine and Environmental Health
UK is the University for Kentucky. At UK, we are educating more students, treating more patients with complex illnesses and conducting more research and service than at any time in our 150-year history. To read more about the UK story and how you can support continued investment in your university and the Commonwealth, go to: uky.edu/uk4ky. #uk4ky #seeblue
MEDIA CONTACT: Jenny Wells, 859-257-5343; jenny.wells@uky