As many of you begin to fulfill your New Year's resolutions and get ready to return to the University of Kentucky campus, we have been busy preparing for the spring semester and the return of our students.
The upcoming semester promises to be an exciting one! The administration will be deeply engaged with the General Assembly during the 2012 session, we will commence a campuswide assessment of our operations and structure and we will break ground on a new residence hall. The campus will be alive with activity and opportunities for students and community members to enjoy:
· DanceBlue will host their seventh 24-hour no-sitting, no-sleeping dance marathon to benefit the Golden Matrix Fund and UK Pediatric Oncology Clinic in early March.
· The Student Activities Board will host the Little Kentucky Derby, the annual Spring Concert and dozens of events throughout the semester.
· The Singletary Center for the Arts has an exciting lineup of performances, including: Don Quixote presented by the Moscow Festival Ballet, comedian Gabriel Inglesias and numerous events by our students, faculty and staff in the College of Fine Arts.
· April will bring a new season of races at Keeneland, which will give way to the 138th Kentucky Derby.
· Thousands of new UK graduates will walk across the stage in the Spring Commencement Ceremonies.
· And, of course, it is basketball season in the Bluegrass and the Wildcats are off to an impressive start. Both our men's and women's teams are ranked in the top 10. UK Gymnastics also kicks off its season this week with Excite Night.
I look forward to seeing many of you around campus, our community, state and at alumni events and receptions across the nation.