LEXINGTON, Ky. (May 2, 2017) — The news team at University of Kentucky public radio station 91.3 WUKY, captured seven Kentucky Associated Press Broadcasters awards recognizing the best in television and radio journalism in 2016. The awards ceremony was held April 29.
Twenty-five broadcast organizations and five Kentucky colleges and universities submitted 531 entries in the contest, which featured news, sports, and weather reporting as well as feature, investigative, public interest reporting, photography, video, and website categories.
The WUKY news team, led by News Director Alan Lytle, includes Karyn Czar, Josh James and Samantha Lederman. WUKY won the following awards:
- Best Sports Feature or Special: Samantha Lederman, "U.S. Eventer Hopes To Recapture Glory Aboard Kentucky-Bred Ex-Racehorse"
- Best Political Coverage: Josh James
- Best Long Light News Feature: Samantha Lederman, "Valerie's Quest"
- Best Short Newscast: Alan Lytle, Karyn Czar and Josh James
- Best Use of Sound: Samantha Lederman, "U.S. Eventer Hopes To Recapture Glory Aboard Kentucky-Bred Ex-Racehorse"
- Best Radio Anchor: Second Place - Alan Lytle
- Best Special Series or Documentary: Third Place: Samantha Lederman and Josh James, "Animal Cruelty in Kentucky"
The AP is a not for profit news cooperative representing 1,400 newspapers and 5,000 broadcast stations.
UK is the University for Kentucky. At UK, we are educating more students, treating more patients with complex illnesses and conducting more research and service than at any time in our 150-year history. To read more about the UK story and how you can support continued investment in your university and the Commonwealth, go to: uky.edu/uk4ky. #uk4ky #seeblue