LEXINGTON, Ky. (May 2, 2017) — The University of Kentucky Board of Trustees today approved 16 University Research Professorships for the 2017-18 year.
The purpose of the University Research Professorship program is to recognize and publicize research accomplishments of scholars across the full range of disciplines at UK. The award amount is $10,000 for one year, to be used to further the research, scholarship and creative endeavors of the awardee.
“It is truly gratifying to recognize these distinguished experts who have made significant contributions in so many different fields of research at the University of Kentucky,” said Lisa Cassis, UK’s vice president for research. “The University Research Professorship Awards honor 16 members of our faculty who have demonstrated excellence in scholarship and creative work that addresses scientific, social, cultural and economic challenges in our region and around the world.”
To align with the overall objective for research within UK's 2015-2020 Strategic Plan, the University Research Professors Program was revised last year, and now recognizes excellence across the full spectrum of research, scholarship and creative endeavors within each college that nominates a faculty member. College leadership developed criteria for excellence in research and scholarly activity within their area of expertise and then nominated faculty who excelled at these criteria.
The 2017-18 University Research Professors are:
- Ole Wendroth: Plant and Soil Sciences; College of Agriculture, Food and Environment
- Ramesh S. Bhatt: Psychology; College of Arts and Sciences
- Abigail Firey: History; College of Arts and Sciences
- J. David Johnson: Communication; College of Communication and Information
- Gregory Luhan: Architecture; College of Design
- Lisa A. Ruble: Educational, School and Counseling Psychology; College of Education
- I.S. Jawahir: Mechanical Engineering; College of Engineering
- Ebony G. Patterson: Art and Visual Studies; College of Fine Arts
- David M. Hardesty: Marketing and Supply Chain; Gatton College of Business and Economics
- Charlotte A. Peterson: Rehabilitation Sciences; College of Health Sciences
- Melynda J. Price: College of Law
- Bradley K. Taylor: Physiology; College of Medicine
- Matthew S. Gentry: Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry; College of Medicine
- Terry A. Lennie: College of Nursing
- Jeffery C. Talbert: Pharmacy Practice and Science; College of Pharmacy
- Glen P. Mays: Health Services and Management; College of Public Health
UK is the University for Kentucky. At UK, we are educating more students, treating more patients with complex illnesses and conducting more research and service than at any time in our 150-year history. To read more about the UK story and how you can support continued investment in your university and the Commonwealth, go to: uky.edu/uk4ky. #uk4ky #seeblue