5 Things You May Not Know About Homecoming
Join in the University of Kentucky tradition for Homecoming 2019 by learning fun facts about the event.
- Homecoming has been around for 104 years. The tradition officially started in 1915 and has continued ever since.
- Royalty didn't start until the 1950s. Homecoming was originally just a time to celebrate alumni coming back to campus.
- Homecoming used to be held only in the spring.
- 2005 and 2017 were historic Homecoming years. In 2005 Antoine Huffman became the first black Homecoming king and in 2017 Jada Linton become the first black Homecoming queen.
- A Homecoming parade complete with elaborate floats used to wind its way through campus.