LEXINGTON, Ky. (Oct. 26, 2020) — College is a time of major transition. Your advisor plays a critical role in helping you with that transition, putting you on the path to success during and after graduation, to make sure you achieve your dreams.
Academic advising at the University of Kentucky is an ongoing educational process that provides assistance in navigating the degree process, connecting you to career pathways and to resources across campus.
Offering an additional layer of support and guidance for students, visiting with your advisor comes with a number of benefits.
Below are eight reasons academic advising is essential in your four-year journey at the university.
- Your advising appointment gives you the opportunity to work with someone who is dedicated to your success.
- Get answers to questions you may have about your major, career or coursework.
- Your academic advising appointment is a good time to make sure that you are on track for timely graduation.
- Academic advisors can help you connect with various campus resources which can help you be successful.
- Academic advisors love to celebrate the success that you are having this semester or provide ideas on how to get your academics back on track.
- Keeping a scheduled appointment is a professional expectation and now is a great time to start building that habit.
- Your academic advisor really cares about you and helping you with your academic journey.
- Meeting with your advisor lifts your advising hold allowing you to register for classes.
Academic advising appointments are available for students to schedule in preparation for priority registration. Your advisor has shared information on how to schedule an appointment, but if you have any questions on scheduling your appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you can’t keep your appointment, please make sure to contact your academic advisor and reschedule just as you would any other scheduled appointment.
The University of Kentucky is increasingly the first choice for students, faculty and staff to pursue their passions and their professional goals. In the last two years, Forbes has named UK among the best employers for diversity, and INSIGHT into Diversity recognized us as a Diversity Champion three years running. UK is ranked among the top 30 campuses in the nation for LGBTQ* inclusion and safety. UK has been judged a “Great College to Work for" three years in a row, and UK is among only 22 universities in the country on Forbes' list of "America's Best Employers." We are ranked among the top 10 percent of public institutions for research expenditures — a tangible symbol of our breadth and depth as a university focused on discovery that changes lives and communities. And our patients know and appreciate the fact that UK HealthCare has been named the state’s top hospital for four straight years. Accolades and honors are great. But they are more important for what they represent: the idea that creating a community of belonging and commitment to excellence is how we honor our mission to be not simply the University of Kentucky, but the University for Kentucky.