Campus Recreation and Wellness Wants to Inspire You This New Year
LEXINGTON, Ky. (Jan. 18, 2022) — The new year presents us with what many people see as a clean slate. A time to reset, kick old habits and start new, healthy ones. Campus Recreation and Wellness, housed in the Office for Student Success at the University of Kentucky, co-signs this idea.
“The new year is a great time to set goals and make a plan to reach those goals,” said Lindsey Peterson, membership sales and marketing director for Campus Recreation and Wellness. “Campus Recreation and Wellness is ready to help you achieve those health goals through our wide variety of programs and services.”
Their mission is simple: provide quality recreation and wellness programs that promote student success and healthy lifestyles. Through their mission and their unique services, Campus Rec is the perfect place for you to start your clean slate.
Here are five resources that you may not know Campus Rec and Wellness has available to you that can help you put those new year’s resolutions in place.
- Fitness assessments with a certified personal trainer. These are great for anyone who is new to the gym and not sure how to start making progress toward their goals or for the avid gym-goer who wants to get an update on how they are progressing. Campus Rec offers two different types of assessments based on what you are looking for. You can read more about these here: www.uky.edu/recwell/fitness/fitness-assessment. These are free for all students and can take up to one hour.
- Equipment orientations with a personal trainer. This is a great service for anyone new to Campus Rec facilities or someone unfamiliar with gym equipment. Increase your confidence in the gym by having a personal trainer take you around the facilities and show you how to set up and use different equipment. Four different orientations are available: Cardio Equipment, Functional Equipment, Barbell/Free Weight and Selectorized Weight Machines. Sign up for one orientation, or all four! These are free for students and you can learn more and sign up at www.uky.edu/recwell/fitness/equipment-orientation.
- Adventure trips. Adventure trips are perfect for all types of students. Campus Rec has trips ranging in skill levels needed so that all students are able to get outside and find some adventure. Trips range anywhere from a day hike to a weeklong backpacking trip so you choose your adventure level. Trips can vary in price based on the length of trip and equipment needed. However, transportation and everything you need is provided with the cost of your trip. Learn more and register for a trip at www.uky.edu/recwell/outdoor-pursuits/adventure-trips.
- Recreation swim at Lancaster Aquatic Center. Looking for a quick, nonimpact workout? Join Campus Rec during Recreation Swim hours for lap swim at Lancaster Aquatic Center (right next to the JC, attached to Seaton Center). All you need is a student ID and a bathing suit. Campus Rec even have towels and daily use lockers available for you. Check out our hours at www.uky.edu/recwell/aquatics/pool-hours. No registration required!
- Climbing wall. Campus Rec’s 1‚400 square foot climbing and bouldering wall in the Johnson Center will challenge everyone from the beginner to the advanced. All levels of climbers from first timers to professionals are welcome! Campus Rec has all the equipment you will need, including a motivating staff to help you through a tough climb, so all you have to bring is your student ID. Check out our climbing wall hours at www.uky.edu/recwell/outdoor-pursuits/climbing-wall. No need to register or reserve your spot ahead of time!
For more information on all the programs, services and facilities at UK Campus Recreation and Wellness, visit www.uky.edu/recwell.
As the state’s flagship, land-grant institution, the University of Kentucky exists to advance the Commonwealth. We do that by preparing the next generation of leaders — placing students at the heart of everything we do — and transforming the lives of Kentuckians through education, research and creative work, service and health care. We pride ourselves on being a catalyst for breakthroughs and a force for healing, a place where ingenuity unfolds. It's all made possible by our people — visionaries, disruptors and pioneers — who make up 200 academic programs, a $501 million research and development enterprise and a world-class medical center, all on one campus.
In 2022, UK was ranked by Forbes as one of the “Best Employers for New Grads” and named a “Diversity Champion” by INSIGHT into Diversity, a testament to our commitment to advance Kentucky and create a community of belonging for everyone. While our mission looks different in many ways than it did in 1865, the vision of service to our Commonwealth and the world remains the same. We are the University for Kentucky.