Pharmacy's 'Everything is Science' Focusing on the Elements of Life
LEXINGTON, Ky. (Feb. 21, 2022) - Earth. Fire. Wind. Water. Heart. With their powers combined, the elements make up everything around us.
Everything is Science, Lexington’s annual city-wide festival is back with a new theme: The Elements of Life. Each event will feature engaging demonstrations and presentations related to the five elements, with conversations on how earth, fire, wind, water, and heart each contribute to everyday life.
The festival, which is free and open to the public, will be held at various local restaurants, pubs, and breweries. The topics discussed aim to make science fun and engaging for audiences of all ages.
“Everything is Science has been growing every year, and this year’s events are going to be highly captivating,” said Michelle Pitts, a UK post-doctoral fellow. “We are excited to showcase how science is present in our daily routines, takes many different forms, and shapes all aspects of life on Earth.”
“I’m pleased we are once again bringing Everything is Science to the city of Lexington,” said Kip Guy, dean of the College of Pharmacy. “We have brilliant lecturers, researchers, and practitioners on UK’s campus. Our goal is to bring science to the community, spark interest in our work, and perhaps even inspire future scientists by opening a pathway for creative minds.”
The events will take place during the week of Feb. 21-25, 2022. No registration is required.
FEB. 21 | EARTH
West Sixth Brewing (501 W. Sixth St.)
- 6 p.m. | Guns, Germs, and Grasses: How Grass Cultivation Shapes Our World
- 6 p.m. | Probing the Relationship Between Diet and Gut Health
- 7 p.m. | What You Can't See...The Hidden Life of Soilborne Plant Pathogens
- 7 p.m. | Teaching About Science in A Global Pandemic, with Burnt Out Admins and Feral Students
- 8 p.m. | Earthbending
- 8 p.m. | Hasn't Everything Been Mapped? Measuring Space, Place, and Landscape on the Planet We Call Home
FEB. 22 | WATER
Rock House Brewing (119 Luigart Ct.)
- 6 p.m. | Hold Back the Water: Your Role in Sustainable Water Infrastructure
- 6 p.m. | Gulag Springs: Sacred Waters in Western Siberia
- 7 p.m. | What Lies Beneath: The Secret Laboratory of Wastewater
- 7 p.m. | Water Action: Community-Based Research for Change
- 8 p.m. | A personal View of Kentucky's Drinking Water Evolution
- 8 p.m. | Facts and Possibilities: Water on Other Worlds
FEB. 23 | HEART
Ethereal Brewing @ Cornerstone (401 S. Limestone)
- 6 p.m. | Love, Compassion, and Other Vices
- 6 p.m. | The Epic Heart
- 7 p.m. | Papyrology and the Emotions
- 7 p.m. | The Beatles, Blue-Footed Boobies, and Bygone Imaging!
- 8 p.m. | Healing Racial Trauma
- 8 p.m. | Am I at Risk? Adverse Childhood Events and Disease Development
FEB. 24 | FIRE
Old North Bar @ Greyline Station (101 W. Loudon Ave.)
- 6 p.m. | Burn Emergencies
- 6 p.m. | A Nobel Song of Ice, Fire, and Touch
- 7 p.m. | The Doctor's Prescription for the Landscape, Fire!
- 7 p.m. | Fire on the Mountain and Under the Sea?
- 8 p.m. | Fire: How it Works and Why You Care!
- 8 p.m. | Spacecraft and Bourbon
FEB. 25 | WIND
Pivot Brewing (1400 Delaware Ave.)
- 6 p.m. | Why Do We Need Drones to Measure the Wind?
- 6 p.m. | Take My Breath Away: Using Breath Biomarkers for Lung Disease
- 7 p.m. | One Breeze at a Time: Evaluating the Equine Respiratory Tract in Motion
- 7 p.m. | Run Like the Wind: Stories of Famous Thoroughbred Racehorses and Retirement
- 8 p.m. | The Music in the Wind
As the state’s flagship, land-grant institution, the University of Kentucky exists to advance the Commonwealth. We do that by preparing the next generation of leaders — placing students at the heart of everything we do — and transforming the lives of Kentuckians through education, research and creative work, service and health care. We pride ourselves on being a catalyst for breakthroughs and a force for healing, a place where ingenuity unfolds. It's all made possible by our people — visionaries, disruptors and pioneers — who make up 200 academic programs, a $501 million research and development enterprise and a world-class medical center, all on one campus.
In 2022, UK was ranked by Forbes as one of the “Best Employers for New Grads” and named a “Diversity Champion” by INSIGHT into Diversity, a testament to our commitment to advance Kentucky and create a community of belonging for everyone. While our mission looks different in many ways than it did in 1865, the vision of service to our Commonwealth and the world remains the same. We are the University for Kentucky.