LEXINGTON, Ky. (May 15, 2012) — The University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center will host its annual Markey Cancer Center Research Day on May 16, from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Markey's Research Day is an annual event celebrating the advances of cancer research on the University of Kentucky campus.
Held at the UK Singletary Center for the Arts, this year’s event will feature 132 posters; three student and postdoctoral fellow oral presentations; two faculty oral presentations; a special announcement by Dr. Michael Karpf, UK executive vice president for health affairs; the State of the Cancer Center Address by Dr. Mark Evers, director of the UK Markey Cancer Center; and the Susan B. Lester Memorial Lecture given by Mina Bissell.
The student and postdoctoral fellow oral presentations will begin following the welcoming remarks at 9 a.m. Presentations are:
- “The Role of de novo Lipogenesis in Colorectal Cancer Metastasis,” given by postdoctoral fellow Yekaterina Y. Zaytseva.
- "A Novel Regulator of Tumor Cell Apoptosis by Normal Cells," given by graduate student Tripti Shrestha Bhattarai.
- "Automated Coding of Key Cancer Concepts from Text-Based Electronic Pathology Reports," given by graduate student Eric Durbin.
Faculty oral presentations will commence at 1:30 p.m. Presentations are:
- “Clinical/Translational Studies of Lung Cancer in Appalachian Kentucky,” given by Dr. Susanne M. Arnold, associate professor of medicine in the Division of Hematology and oncology.
- “Regulation of DNA Repair Function and Genome Stability by Epigenetic/Post-translational Modifications, ” given by Guo-Min Li, professor and James-Gardner Chair in Cancer Research at the UK Graduate Center for Toxicology.
At 2:40 p.m., Dr. Karpf will take the stage for a special announcement, followed by the State of the Cancer Center Address by Dr. Evers. To finish up the day, Mina Bissell, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, will give a presentation titled, "Why Don't We Get More Cancer? The Proposed Role of the Microenvironment in Tissue Specificity and Breast Cancer" for the Susan B. Lester Memorial Lecture.
MEDIA CONTACT: Allison Perry, (859) 323-2399 or email@example.com