LEXINGTON, Ky. (May 10, 2019) — The University of Kentucky Fine Arts Institute will offer an array of classes and workshops this summer that explore creativity through different aspects of art, including new fiber arts courses in embroidery and visible mending. The classes are noncredit courses offered to adults 18 and over in the Lexington community. Registration for the first of two summer sessions is open now.
Four times a year, UK Fine Arts Institute offers weekly classes as well as weekend workshops on the university's visual arts campus. The courses, ranging from ceramics to metalworking, meet once a week.
For those with less time available, the institute offers workshops in the fiber arts and photography that take place on the weekend.
There are two six-week summer sessions scheduled this year. Summer Session 1, running May 20-June 24, will include eight different weekly classes and four workshops. Summer Session 2 will run from July 15-Aug. 19.
Registration is now open for Summer Session 1 and includes the following classes:
- Beginning Ceramics with Jill Coldiron, 6-9 p.m. Thursdays, beginning May 23, and
- Taking Ceramics to the Next Level with Jill Coldiron, 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning May 21.
- Explorations in Drawing with Christine Kuhn, 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning May 21, and
- Foundational Portrait Drawing with Thomas Baker, 6-9 p.m. Mondays, beginning May 20.
- Contemplative Flower Design with Brooke Pohl, 6-8 p.m. Wednesdays, beginning May 22.
- Metal Working with Jeremy Colbert, 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning May 21.
- Learn to Paint! with Christine Kuhn, 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays, beginning May 22.
- Black & White Darkroom Printing with Carey Gough, 6-9 p.m. Thursdays, beginning May 23.
Individuals interested in classes in the first session may register up until noon Friday before the workshop.
The following four workshops in fiber arts are being offered during Summer Session 1 to offer more abbreviated class experiences in a workshop format:
- Handmade Felted Fabric with Laverne Zabielski, 10 a.m.-noon Saturday, May 25 or June 15;
- The Art of Shibori Silk Dyeing with Laverne Zabielski, 10 a.m.-noon Saturdays, June 1 and 8; and
- Visible Mending with Morgan Shipps, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, June 8-9.
For more information on any of these classes and workshops or their instructors, including cost and specific class times, visit the institute online at https://finearts.uky.edu/savs/fai or on Facebook.
The Fine Arts Institute, an outreach program of the School of Art and Visual Studies at the UK College of Fine Arts, offers all the resources and classrooms that the school has to offer through these noncredit art classes. All courses and workshops are open to the public.
Registration for UK Fine Arts Institute courses is available online at https://finearts.uky.edu/savs/fai/registration.