LEXINGTON, Ky. (April 8, 2010) - The Kentucky Small Business Development Center (KSBDC), located in the University of Kentucky’s Office of Commercialization and Economic Development, received a funding extension from the U.S. Small Business Administration to continue providing specialized services to veterans. The KSBDC initially received the grant in 2009 to promote business ownership to active and reserve duty military personnel, veterans and spouses and businesses impacted by deployments.
The KSBDC will receive $100,000 annually until 2011 to continue offering targeted services to the military community. As part of the grant, the KSBDC is working with various groups at Fort Knox and Fort Campbell to provide business training and consulting services to those interested in starting, expanding or maintaining an existing business during deployment.
“Individuals with military experience are prime entrepreneurs because of the skills they have acquired during their military training and service,” said Becky Naugle, KSBDC state director. “We are pleased to have additional resources to provide business support to build on their skills and ensure they achieve success in their business ventures.”
During the first year of the grant the program’s accomplishments include:
· 210 veterans utilized KSBDC consulting services including several currently on deployment;
· 2,450 veterans and military personnel received information during business events;
· Contracting conferences were held for service disabled Vvteran-owned small businesses at Fort Knox and Fort Campbell;
· Presentations were given at Fort Knox and Fort Campbell to several groups and departments, including: Warrior Transition Brigade, Army Career and Alumni Program, Army Community Services, Workforce Development, Retirement Services and VA Vocational Rehab; and
· Launched www.kyvetbiz.com to provide veterans with information about the services available through the KSBDC and other organizations that assist veterans.
The program will continue to build upon last year’s accomplishments by providing high quality, in-depth and hands-on consultations, workshops and resources to veterans. For more information about the services available to veterans visit www.kyvetbiz.com or call (270) 763-6961.