UK Crime Bulletin Issued After Criminal Mischief/Attempted Arson Report
LEXINGTON, Ky. (Nov. 7, 2012) — In the interest of safety, the University of Kentucky Police Department has issued the following Crime Bulletin for the UK community.
On Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2012, it was reported to UK Police that a fire had occurred on the previous evening of Nov. 6 at approximately 10:30 p.m. in the 1st floor bathroom of Kirwan 1 Residence Hall. It was indicated that the 1st floor bathroom had a strong burning smell with burned toilet paper and ash residue.
During the course of the investigation, UK Police discovered that two additional fire incidents had recently occurred in Kirwan 1 Residence Hall. On Oct. 27, 2012, it was noticed that a portion of poster board located in the basement of Kirwan 1 Residence Hall had been burned. On Nov. 1, 2012, burned paper towels were discovered near the trash can in the 2nd floor bathroom of Kirwan 1 Residence Hall.
Each of these incidents is independent of one another, and each fire appeared to have been extinguished prior to its discovery. No injuries have been reported as a result of these incidents.
If anyone has any information regarding this incident, please contact UK Police at (859) 257-8573.
The University of Kentucky values a safe community for all students, staff, faculty, and visitors. In the interest of promoting a safe and secure campus environment, UK Police offer the following safety precautions:
• If you see something, say something. For emergencies, call 911.
• Report suspicious persons loitering around facilities.
• Carry a cell phone to be able to call for help in emergencies.
• In the event that you smell smoke, dial 911 immediately.
• If you locate a fire, pull a fire alarm and then dial 911. Do NOT attempt to extinguish a fire unless you are properly trained to do so.
• Anytime a fire alarm is activated, EVACUATE the building immediately.
• Know the primary and secondary escape routes for each of your locations, should an actual fire occur.