LEXINGTON, Ky. (Oct. 24, 2022) — The University of Kentucky Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) is proud to announce the fourth annual 5-Minute Fast Track Research Competition finalists. These undergraduates competed in the competition’s preliminary round and were selected as Top 10 finalists to present their research during the final round 5-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 26, in The Cornerstone’s eSports Theater.
Finalists will present their research in five minutes in front of a panel of judges and a live audience using only a single static slide. This challenges students to develop their academic, presentation and research communication skills while also allowing them to showcase their research in a captivating way.
The goal of this competition is to improve undergraduate students’ abilities to communicate their research effectively to a general non-specialist audience while creating a compelling story about their scholarly work.
Students compete for cash prizes: $750 for first place, $500 for second place and $250 for third place.
2022 Top 10 Finalists
- Artin Asadipooya — junior, Lewis Honors neuroscience major; Mentor: Pavel Ortinski, Ph.D., Neuroscience, College of Medicine
- Patrick Bidros — senior, Lewis Honors biology major; Mentor: Yasir Al Siraj, Ph.D., Pharmacology and Nutritional Sciences, College of Medicine
- Kayli Bolton — junior, Lewis Honors biology major; Mentor: Matthew Gentry, Ph.D., Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, College of Medicine
- Isha Chauhan — junior, Lewis Honors biology major; Mentor: Gregory Graf, Ph.D., Physiology, College of Medicine
- McKenna Clinch — junior, chemical engineering major; Mentor: Bryan Beckingham, Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Samuel Gin College of Engineering (Auburn University)
- Tanner Durst — senior, Lewis Honors biology major; Mentor: Sarah D’Orazio, Ph.D., Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics, College of Medicine
- Chase Eastham — junior, Lewis Honors agricultural and medical biotechnology major; Mentor: Peter Nagy, Ph.D., Plant Pathology, College of Agriculture, Food, and Environment
- Emily Keaton — senior, Lewis Honors sociology, neuroscience, philosophy, and English major; Mentor: Jerrod Penn, Ph.D., Agricultural Economics, College of Agriculture (Louisiana State University)
- Lexi Nolletti — senior, Lewis Honors neuroscience major; Mentor: David Rodgers, Ph.D., Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, College of Medicine
- Caroline Youdes — junior, Lewis Honors biology major; Mentor: Zhenheng Guo, Ph.D., Pharmacology and Nutritional Sciences, College of Medicine
The 2022 5-Minute Fast Track Research Competition is sponsored by the UK Office of Undergraduate Research. The event is open to the public.
For more information on the competition, visit https://our.uky.edu/5-minute-fast-track.
As the state’s flagship, land-grant institution, the University of Kentucky exists to advance the Commonwealth. We do that by preparing the next generation of leaders — placing students at the heart of everything we do — and transforming the lives of Kentuckians through education, research and creative work, service and health care. We pride ourselves on being a catalyst for breakthroughs and a force for healing, a place where ingenuity unfolds. It's all made possible by our people — visionaries, disruptors and pioneers — who make up 200 academic programs, a $476.5 million research and development enterprise and a world-class medical center, all on one campus.
In 2022, UK was ranked by Forbes as one of the “Best Employers for New Grads” and named a “Diversity Champion” by INSIGHT into Diversity, a testament to our commitment to advance Kentucky and create a community of belonging for everyone. While our mission looks different in many ways than it did in 1865, the vision of service to our Commonwealth and the world remains the same. We are the University for Kentucky.