LEXINGTON, Ky. (April 16, 2018) ― The University of Kentucky Violence Intervention and Prevention (VIP) Center’s message to the community could not be more succinct and lucid.
“It’s On Us” to:
- Recognize that non-consensual sex is sexual assault.
- Identify situations in which sexual assault may occur.
- Intervene in situations where consent has not or cannot be given.
- Create an environment in which sexual assault is unacceptable and survivors are supported.
“It’s On Us” is the theme of the VIP Center’s Spring Week of Action, a week of activities organized April 16-20 in recognition of Sexual Assault Awareness Month. It's also the theme of the national campaign to bring awareness and visibility to issues surrounding sexual and gender-based violence.
“The campaign promotes the importance of the role we all play in creating a culture intolerant to acts of interpersonal violence,” said Chelsey Reid, prevention education specialist for the UK VIP Center. “Bringing a week of activities to campus reflects our hope that everyone has an opportunity to learn why violence prevention should matter to them personally.”
“We have the power,” Reid said, “to direct the conversation and change culture by believing and supporting survivors while taking action to reduce harm and stop acts of violence. It truly is on each and every one of us to make UK violence-free and a place of belonging for all.”
“It’s On Us” week includes a pop-up yoga class, a precursor to a new yoga program VIP is launching next year.
In addition to Reid’s role at the university, she is also a registered yoga teacher with “a passion for sparking the prioritization of holistic wellness in others.
“We know that a regular yoga practice yields both mental and physical benefits, including building strength and increasing mindfulness,” Reid said. “Yoga can also reduce anxiety-like sensations while elevating self-ownership and personal empowerment. We are thrilled to be building an inclusive, accessible yoga program through VIP to support the campus community.”
Scheduled “It’s On Us” events include:
- Take the Pledge, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Monday and Tuesday, April 16 and 17, at White Hall Classroom Building.
- "It’s On Us" VIP Yoga on the Lawn (accessible to participants of all levels), 4-5 p.m. Wednesday, April 18, UK Main Building lawn. Bring a towel or mat. The first 30 participants will receive an exclusive "It’s On Us" T-shirt. In the event of of inclement weather, this event will be at the VIP Center on the lower level of Frazee Hall.
- "It’s On Us" Tailgating at the UK vs University of Florida baseball game, 5 p.m. Thursday, April 19, Cliff Hagan Stadium.
UK is the University for Kentucky. At UK, we are educating more students, treating more patients with complex illnesses and conducting more research and service than at any time in our 150-year history. To read more about the UK story and how you can support continued investment in your university and the Commonwealth, go to: uky.edu/uk4ky. #uk4ky #seeblue