LEXINGTON, Ky. (Sept. 8, 2015) – The Kentucky Regional Extension Center (REC), based at the University of Kentucky, received the A.O. Sullivan Award for Excellence in Education during the ninth annual MediStar Awards.
The center was among the health care leaders honored Sept. 1 at the Hyatt Regency Louisville. The MediStar Awards are the region’s premier venue for recognizing excellence in the business of health care. More than 250 attendees congratulated the honorees and celebrated their accomplishments in advancing health care in Kentucky and southern Indiana.
The A.O. Sullivan Award for Excellence in Education is presented to an organization that takes creative approaches to developing and implementing programs, which enhance the level of knowledge, education and career opportunity in health care.
The Kentucky Regional Extension Center (KY-REC) serves 96 counties in Kentucky and assists physicians, other medical professionals and hospitals with electronic health record adoption, Kentucky Health Information Exchange participation, and achievement of meaningful use. The goal of this new initiative is to help more than 1,000 primary care providers in Kentucky with the switch to electronic health records. The goal of the program nationally is to help 100,000 physicians.
Other winners were:
- The Hall Render Leadership in Healthcare Award, Anthony Zipple, president and chief executive officer, Seven Counties Services
- The Kentucky Life Sciences Council Healthcare Innovation Award, Percutaneous Valve Program
- The Kentucky Association of Healthcare Facilities Nurse of the Year Award, Kim Hobson, director of nursing, Nazareth Home
- The Harshaw Trane Facility Design Award, Owensboro Health Regional Hospital designed by HGA
- The BOK Financial Aging Care Award, Hospice of the Bluegrass
- The Seven Counties Services Health Advocacy Award, Dr. Melissa Currie, medical director and Chief Kosair Charities Division of Pediatric Forensic Medicine, University of Louisville Physicians
- The Physician of the Year Award, Dr. Neal Richmond, medical director and chief executive officer, Louisville Metro EMS
More information about the event and honorees, as well as photos of the event can be found at www.MediStarAwards.com.