LEXINGTON, Ky. (Sept. 12, 2012) — In the interest of safety, the University of Kentucky Police Department has issued the following Crime Bulletin to the UK community following the report of an assault.
At approximately 8 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2012, an assault occurred on the second floor of the W.T. Young Library on UK's campus. The victim, a female UK student, was reportedly assaulted with an unknown sharp object causing minor injury to her foot.
A suspicious individual was seen in the area and described as a heavy set male, approximately 5’7” to 5’9” tall, wearing a black and white ball cap, black tennis shoes, and carrying a black and silver briefcase/laptop case. He was last seen walking toward the stairwell of the second floor Core 4 area of W.T. Young Library.
UK Police received two similar reports in April of 2011.
If anyone has any information regarding this incident, please contact UK Police at (859) 257-8573.
The University of Kentucky values a safe community for all students, staff, faculty, and visitors. In the interest of promoting a safe and secure campus environment, UK Police offer the following safety precautions:
• If you see something, say something. For emergencies, call 911.
• Carry a cell phone to be able to call for help in emergencies.
• Do not travel alone after dark; walk with a friend or with a group.
• Whenever possible, look out for your friends when you go out together; walk together and make sure that everyone gets home safely.
• Request a FREE SAFECATS student safety escort or coordinate after-hours on-demand bus service during the fall and spring semesters by calling (859) 257-SAFE(7233).
• Park in well-lit areas when possible.
• Turn over any requested items (purse, wallet, etc.).
• Make statements with authority – “BACK-OFF! STOP! NO-WAY!” You deserve to be respected.
If you have been a victim of violence, or would like to be a part of UK’s effort to end violence, please contact the Violence Intervention and Prevention (VIP) Center for confidential services, support and referrals at (859) 257-3564.