LEXINGTON, Ky. (May 29, 2019) — The NCAA released its Academic Progress Rate (APR) report recently, showing that all University of Kentucky sports teams surpassed the NCAA cut score. Fifteen of the 20 UK team scores exceeded the national average for public universities in their sports.
The men’s basketball, women’s basketball, men’s golf, women’s golf, gymnastics and volleyball teams led the way with perfect 1,000 scores over the previous four years. Each of those teams was recognized last week with a national award for being in the top 10 percent of their respective sports. Having six teams earn the national award tied the school record.
The APR marks are a four-year composite, covering the 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17 and 2017-18 school years, taking a real-time look at academic success of scholarship student-athletes. The APR measures academic eligibility, retention and graduation.
Every Division I sports team across the nation calculates its APR each academic year, similar to a report card. Each semester, scholarship athletes earn one point for remaining eligible and one point for staying in school or graduating.
The NCAA cut score to compete in the 2019-20 postseason is a 930 four-year APR. Teams scoring below 930 can face additional consequences, such as practice restrictions or playing-season reductions, to direct more focus on academics.
Another highlight was that 13 UK teams notched perfect 1,000 scores for 2017-18, the most recent school year in the report: men’s basketball, women’s basketball, women’s cross country, men’s golf, women’s golf, gymnastics, rifle, women’s soccer, men’s swimming and diving, women’s swimming and diving, men’s tennis, women’s indoor/outdoor track and volleyball.
“It’s gratifying to have another good year of APR scores, especially when reflected in the scores of our peer group across the nation,” said Mitch Barnhart, UK director of athletics. “The APR is a team effort — student performance in the classroom, guidance of our academic staff and how well our coaches have managed their programs.”
With each team exceeding the NCAA cut score, no Wildcat squads are subject to penalties. None of UK’s teams have incurred a penalty during the 15-year history of the APR.
This news is a continuation of the academic accomplishments of UK student-athletes:
- In November, it was announced that UK Athletics set a record for NCAA Graduation Success Rate. UK has broken or tied the GSR record every year since the NCAA began measuring that statistic in 2005.
- UK athletes have posted an overall grade-point average over 3.0 in 13 consecutive semesters.
- When the Southeastern Conference Winter Sports Academic Honor Roll was announced, UK led the way with 78 honorees.
- As mentioned above, it was announced that a school-record six UK teams won APR public recognition awards for being in the top 10 percent in the nation in their sports.
- Including the December 2018 and May 2019 Commencement ceremonies, 99 Wildcat student-athletes earned degrees during the 2018-19 school year.