LEXINGTON, Ky. (Nov. 28, 2011) − The University of Kentucky Department of Art throws open its doors to the public again this holiday season. The Bluegrass community is invited to come discover UK's talented young artists at the popular Open Studio event. See what the university's student and faculty artists have been creating and shop for one-of-a-kind items from 6 to 10 p.m. Friday, Dec. 2, at Reynolds Building Number 1, located at 349 Scott St.
During the annual Open Studio, the public can visit UK student and faculty artists' studios in the huge former tobacco warehouse. The event gives individuals an opportunity to see the various media of artwork created by UK’s undergraduate students, graduate students and faculty. Media on display will include metalwork, fiber, paintings, photographs, drawings, ceramics, plaster casts, printmaking and woodwork.
Other festivities scheduled for Open Studio are:
- the Carey Ellis Juried Student Art Exhibition, featuring nearly 100 pieces of art by graduate and undergraduate art students;
- creative activities for kids presented by students in the UK Art Education Program;
- a ceramics production demonstration;
- a metal casting demonstration;
- art demonstrations and displays of students' new and original works;
- an art sale, including the popular ceramic bowl sale; and
- live music performances and refreshments.
The awards program for winning art in the Carey Ellis Juried Student Show will be presented during the Open Studio event at approximately 8 p.m. in the facility's Barnhart Gallery.
The UK Department of Art, at the UK College of Fine Arts, is an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in the fields of art studio, art history and art education.
A donation of $5 to the UK Department of Art is suggested for entry to Open Studio. Proceeds go to various programs provided by the Department of Art. Free parking for individuals attending Open Studio can be found nearby on both Broadway and Scott Street. To find out more about Open Studio, contact Dmitry Strakovsky, assistant professor of new media, at (859) 257-2727.
MEDIA CONTACT: Whitney Hale, (859) 257-1754 ext. 229, Whitney.Hale@uky.edu