LEXINGTON, Ky. (June 6, 2011) − The University of Kentucky Fine Arts Institute will return this summer with noncredit art classes for adults. Along with regular weekly classes, there will also be weekend and evening workshops for those who wish to advance their artistic skills on a more relaxed schedule.
The UK Fine Arts Institute is offering several courses this summer including three one- or two-day workshops and numerous courses that meet weekly.
The institute's courses that meet weekly with fees starting at $140 include:
- "Beginning Metal Working" with Jeremy Colbert, teaching basic metal working and casting techniques from traditional and contemporary methods;
- "Ceramics" with Jill Stofer, instructing wheel-throwing and hand building with a focus on three-dimensional form, surface and the use of clay as an art form;
- "Painting for Everyone" with Christine Kuhn, educating on explorations of color, composition and layering;
- "Beginning PhotoShop" with Lennon Michalski enhancing each student's PhotoShop skills, including color/contrast corrections, touch up techniques and how PhotoShop can help create mood or narrative in photos;
- "Advanced PhotoShop and Adobe Programs" with Michalski, instructing how to make digital art, brochures, newsletters, business cards, posters or videos more professional;
- "P.E.M.A. Painting Class" with Kuhn, teaching the P.E.M.A painting method;
- "Drawing for Beginners" with Kuhn, teaching everything you need to know to begin and sustain drawing practice;
- "Watercolor Painting" with Bernice Wood giving guidance on the basics of watercolor painting;
- "Jewelry Making Class" with Dwayne Cobb, teaching the art of jewelry making;
- "FeltLOOM Class" with Laverne Zabielski, teaching how to create wearable or displayable art using various materials.
Registration for these courses will be available through the first class of each course, with the first courses meeting on June 13. For specific course dates, visit the institute's website at www.uky.edu/FineArts/Art/FineArtsInstitute/classschedule2.html. Classes will not meet on July 4.
This summer's one- or two-day workshops being offered with varying registration deadlines and fees starting at $80 include:
- "Digital Photography One-Day Composition and Creativity Workshop," registration deadline June 8;
- "Basic Blacksmithing and Forging," a two-day workshop with a registration deadline of July 8, and "Mold and Casting," a two-day workshop with a registration deadline of June 22.
Summer courses will be offered at various times during the week or weekends in one of four buildings on UK's campus: Reynolds Building No. 1, the Metal Arts Building, the Fine Arts Building and the Lucille C. Little Fine Arts Library and Learning Center.
For more information on the UK Fine Arts Institute's summer classes and workshops, contact Jane Andrus at (859) 257-8151 or email firstname.lastname@example.org; for registration information, visit www.uky.edu/FineArts/Art/FineArtsInstitute/registration3.html.
MEDIA CONTACT: Whitney Hale, (859) 257-1754 ext. 229; Whitney.Hale@uky.edu