LEXINGTON, Ky. (Feb. 2, 2011) − The University of Kentucky Fine Arts Institute will provide a creative outlet for the community again this spring with the return of its noncredit art classes for adults. More special event workshops and a new class will also be offered this session, in addition to popular courses like woodworking and ceramics.
The Fine Arts Institute will offer 16 courses ranging from one-day workshops to classes that meet weekly. The institute will also host five special, three-day workshops. These workshops will feature Robert Haven, costume technologist at UK Department of Theatre, and Bart Lindstrom, a renowned portrait artist.
The UK Fine Arts Institute's weekly classes with a registration deadline of Feb. 7 include:
- "Beginning Metal Working" with Jeremy Colbert, the sculpture and ceramics technician at UK Department of Art;
- "Creative Drawing and Painting," "P.E.M.A. Painting Class" and "Introduction to Drawing" with Christine Kuhn, a professional artist;
- "Beginning Photoshop" and "Advanced Photoshop and Adobe Programs" with Lennon Michalski, an instructor at UK and Eastern Kentucky University;
- "Ceramics" with alumna Jill Stofer, a professional artist, instructor at Lexington Montessori School and owner of Main Cross Gallery; and
- "Building Artistic Community" with Kuhn.
This session's one- or two-day workshops being offered with varying registration dates include:
- "Beginning Photoshop One-Day Workshop," registration deadline April 11, and two "Digital Photography One-Day Composition and Creativity Workshops," registration deadlines of March 28 and April 4, with Michalski;
- "Basic Blacksmithing and Forging Workshop," registration deadline of March 18, and a "Two-Day Mold and Casting Workshop," registration deadline of April 25, with Colbert; and
- "FeltLOOM One-Day Workshop," registration deadline of May 13, with Laverne Zabielski, a writer and artist.
Courses will be offered evenings or weekends and will be held on campus in one of four buildings: the Reynolds Building, the Metal Arts Building, the Fine Arts Building, and the Lucille C. Little Fine Arts Library and Learning Center.
Presented by UK Department of Art, the spring 2011 UK Fine Arts Institute classes begin Feb. 7 and continue through April 15. Classes will not meet the week of March 12 due to the university's spring break.
In addition to the spring courses, the institute will also host two special events: "French Couture Embroidery Master Class with Robert Haven" and "Painting Workshop with Bart Lindstrom."
Three beginner embroidery workshops with Haven will be offered May 11-14, May 18-21, and June 1-4. An advanced embroidery workshop will be offered May 23-25. The workshops will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day at the Fine Arts Building. To register for a workshop, contact Robert Haven at (859) 948-1979 or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lindstrom's three-day painting workshop will run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Feb. 11-13, at the Reynolds Building. To register for this workshop, contact the Fine Arts Institute.
For more information on the UK Fine Arts Institute's spring classes and workshops, contact Jane Andrus at (859) 257-8151 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
MEDIA CONTACT: Whitney Hale, (859) 257-1754 ext. 229; firstname.lastname@example.org