LEXINGTON, Ky. (Aug. 13, 2018) — The time has come once again for the University of Kentucky Big Blue Move-In, when students make UK's residence halls their home away from home. With UK housing at 97 percent occupancy, more than 7,000 new and continuing Wildcats will move to campus over a multiple day period.
The three major move-in days are:
- 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 15;
- 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 16; and
- 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. Friday, Aug. 17.
Move-in will impact parking and traffic on campus at various times. Safety is always a top priority, and UK Police will have a major presence helping with moving and with traffic navigation.
All UK faculty and staff are encouraged to plan accordingly for the Big Blue Move-In days. Motorists should plan for potential delays. Area drivers are encouraged to use the WAZE app for traffic updates.
Below is information regarding student move-in traffic flow and parking impacts over the next week, including important information about one-way streets, no parking areas and high traffic locations.
ONE-WAY STREETS: (see map)
- One-way southbound: Martin Luther King Boulevard between Good Samaritan parking lot and Avenue of Champions.
- One-way southbound: Lexington Avenue between Maxwell Street and Avenue of Champions.
- NOTE: Employee (E) lot entrance north of the Joe Craft Center will be CLOSED at Lexington Avenue; enter and exit only at Rose Street.
- One-way westbound: Avenue of Champions between Rose Street and Limestone (no thru traffic).
- One-way westbound: Huguelet Drive between University Drive and Rose Street.
- One-way eastbound: Hilltop Avenue between University Drive and Woodland Avenue.
- One-way northbound: Woodland Avenue between Hilltop Avenue and Columbia Avenue.
- One-way southbound: Sports Center Drive between Woodland Avenue and the Employee (E) lot north of the Nutter Football Training Facility.
- Woodland Glen sidewalk: One-way eastbound.
NO PARKING AREAS:
Due to the need to quickly unload vehicles near residence halls, several areas of campus will be NO PARKING zones from 12:01 a.m. to 6 p.m. on each of the Big Blue Move-In days. Additionally, several streets on and bordering campus will have closures or other changes to traffic flow to accommodate move-in. Watch for NO PARKING signs and bagged meters in these areas.
Vehicles parked in the NO PARKING areas listed below will be towed. Owners will be responsible for all tow-related charges. If your vehicle is towed, contact 859-257-1616.
NO PARKING AREAS for Wednesday, Aug. 15; Thursday, Aug. 16; and Friday, Aug. 17:
- University Drive (both sides): From Cooper Drive to Hilltop Avenue.
- Sports Center Drive (both sides): Between Woodland Avenue and the Employee (E) lot north of the Nutter Football Training Facility.
- Avenue of Champions (both sides): Between Rose Street and Limestone; includes the metered parking in front of Roselle Hall.
- Martin Luther King Boulevard (both sides): Between Maxwell Street and Avenue of Champions.
- Lexington Avenue (both sides): Area between the Employee (E) lot entrance and Avenue of Champions.
- E lot between Kelley Building and Med Center Annex #5: The six spots in the lane just north of Medical Center Annex #5.
- Woodland Avenue (both sides): Between Hilltop Avenue and Sports Center Drive.
- Complex Drive (both sides): Between the entrance to the Kirwan-Blanding loading dock and Sports Center Drive.
- S. Limestone: The nine spots on the east side, just north of Avenue of Champions.
- Pedestrian walkway in front of Woodland Glen V (both sides): From Woodland Avenue to Sports Center Drive.
- Hilltop Avenue (both sides): From the Rose Street Garage (PS #2) to Woodland Avenue.
- Huguelet Avenue (both sides): From University Drive to the Jacobs Science Building.
MOVE-IN PARKING AREAS: (see map)
Students and parents participating in Big Blue Move-In will be permitted to park in the following designated parking areas on the three move-in dates listed above:
- Blue Lot at Kroger Field;
- Red Lot at Kroger Field;
- Memorial Coliseum Lot; and
- South Limestone Garage (PS #5).
ALTERNATE ROUTE OPTIONS
- To help avoid these impacts, north campus employees and faculty should consider the following parking lots as options:
- Scott Street Lot, Taylor-Dickey Lot, Reynolds Lot, Comers Lot: All with entrance via Scott Street.
- Schmidt Lot, Career Center Lot, King Alumni Lot, Linden Walk Lot: Entrances via Linden Walk or Rose Lane.
- South campus employees should consider parking in the Blue, Red or Orange Lots by Kroger Field, if feasible, to avoid traffic impacts.
To view campuswide parking options, visit Transportation Services parking map.
Buses will operate on modified routes during move-in days, so expect delays and slower traffic than usual. Please also watch for bagged meters and NO PARKING signs. Vehicles parked in no-parking zones will be towed.
For more information on parking options and transportation alternatives, visit www.uky.edu/transportation. UK Transportation Services is also on Twitter @UKParking or tune into 1700 AM (WQKH 253) to hear daily campus parking and transportation updates. The station broadcasts 24 hours, seven days a week.
For online information on student move-in traffic flow and parking impacts over the next week, including important information about one-way streets, no parking areas, and high traffic locations visit www.uky.edu/housing/fall-2018-move-in.
You can also view a map by visiting www.uky.edu/housing/sites/www.uky.edu.housing/files/MoveIn_Official_Routes--FINAL%5B6%5D.pdf.
UK is the University for Kentucky. At UK, we are educating more students, treating more patients with complex illnesses and conducting more research and service than at any time in our 150-year history. To read more about the UK story and how you can support continued investment in your university and the Commonwealth, go to: uky.edu/uk4ky. #uk4ky #seeblue