LEXINGTON, Ky. (June 17, 2021) — Last year, the University of Kentucky announced its intention to honor Juneteenth as a university holiday. The university will be closed Friday, June 18, 2021, for the first year of its observance.
A list of closings and alternative hours are below:
- All Gatton Student Center facilities, including the UK Bookstore, will be closed June 18 and June 19.
- Wildcat Pantry at The 90 will have adjusted hours of operation, open from 10 a.m.-2 p.m., June 18-19.
- The UK Art Museum will be closed June 18 and 19.
- All UK Libraries locations, as well as the Law Library, will be closed June 18 and 19.
- UK Good Samaritan Retail Pharmacy, located just off the main entrance of UK Good Samaritan Hospital, will be open 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday, June 18, and 8 a.m.-midnight Saturday, June 19.
- Kentucky Clinic Pharmacy, University Health Service Pharmacy and Turfland Retail Pharmacy will be closed Friday, June 18. The Kentucky Clinic and Turfland locations will be open normal hours on Saturday, June 19; University Health Pharmacy is closed on Saturdays.
- Meds to Beds will operate from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. at Chandler and Good Samaritan.
- Chandler Retail Pharmacy will remain open for the holiday. The pharmacy is open 24 hours a day every day and never closes. Chandler Retail Pharmacy is located on the first floor of Chandler Pavilion A behind the gift shop. Staff at Chandler Retail Pharmacy can access all prescriptions in the UK system, regardless of which location the prescription was routed to.
As the state’s flagship, land-grant institution, the University of Kentucky exists to advance the Commonwealth. We do that by preparing the next generation of leaders — placing students at the heart of everything we do — and transforming the lives of Kentuckians through education, research and creative work, service and health care. We pride ourselves on being a catalyst for breakthroughs and a force for healing, a place where ingenuity unfolds. It's all made possible by our people — visionaries, disruptors and pioneers — who make up 200 academic programs, a $476.5 million research and development enterprise and a world-class medical center, all on one campus.
In 2022, UK was ranked by Forbes as one of the “Best Employers for New Grads” and named a “Diversity Champion” by INSIGHT into Diversity, a testament to our commitment to advance Kentucky and create a community of belonging for everyone. While our mission looks different in many ways than it did in 1865, the vision of service to our Commonwealth and the world remains the same. We are the University for Kentucky.