LEXINGTON, Ky. (Jan. 30, 2022) — In the interest of safety, the University of Kentucky Police Department has issued the following Crime Bulletin for the UK community.
Note: This report contains information that some may find upsetting. If you or someone you know has been impacted by sexual assault, the University of Kentucky offers a variety of resources, which can be found at https://www.uky.edu/vipcenter/content/campus-resources.
You may report any incident of harassment or sexual assault as a member of the UK community to the Title IX Coordinator at 859-257-8927 or visit their website at http://www.uky.edu/eeo/.
On Sunday, Jan. 30, 2022, UK Police Department received a report of sexual abuse on UK's campus. The incident occurred in the early morning hours on Sunday, Jan. 30, 2022. A student stated that they were sexually abused by an unknown individual while walking back to their residence hall. The appropriate campus units are working with the individual involved to provide resources and support. The investigation is ongoing.
The University of Kentucky values a safe community for all students, staff, faculty and visitors. In the interest of promoting a safe and secure campus environment, UK Police offer the following tips to help keep our community safe:
- Make sure you have affirmative consent before engaging in sexual activities with someone. The VIP Center offers training on consent, and the university’s definition of “affirmative consent” can be found in Administrative Regulation 6.2.
- Consent is an active agreement to participate in that activity at that time. If someone says no, it means no. If someone is silent, it does not mean yes. If someone changes their mind, it means no.
- Learn about being an active bystander. While bystanders are not always present when sexual assault occurs, there may be red flags we can notice beforehand. Request a Green Dot Training from the VIP Center to learn how we can recognize those red flags and help keep our community safe.
- When possible, make statements — “BACK-OFF! STOP! NO-WAY!” You deserve to be respected.
- Request a FREE SAFECATS student safety escort or coordinate after-hours on-demand bus service during the fall and spring semesters by calling 859-257-SAFE(7233).
- Request a FREE KENTUCKY WILDCAB ride through the Kentucky Wildcab app, available in the app store and Google play. Kentucky Wildcab is available from 10 p.m. through 3 a.m., Thursday through Saturday when fall and spring semester classes are in session.
Sexual assault is never the victim's fault.
The only person responsible for sexual misconduct is the perpetrator.
If you have been a victim of violence or would like to be a part of UK’s effort to end violence, please contact the Violence Intervention and Prevention (VIP) Center for confidential services, support and referrals. 859-257-3574.
You may report any incident of harassment or sexual assault as a member of the UK Community to the Title IX Coordinator at 859-257-8927 or visit their website at http://www.uky.edu/eeo/.