LEXINGTON, Ky. (Feb. 21, 2018) — The University of Kentucky Women's Forum announces 14 women have been nominated for the 2018 Sarah Bennett Holmes Award, one of UK's most prestigious awards for women. Women's Forum, who established the award in 1994, is currently celebrating over 26 years of open discussion and creativity while providing leadership development for all women employed at UK.
The Sarah Bennett Holmes Award honors a distinguished former dean of women at the University of Kentucky. Holmes, who was widowed at a young age, raised four children while completing her own education. She went on to have a successful career at UK where she inspired young women to persevere in the face of hardship and pursue their career goals. Among her accomplishments, Holmes developed work programs for women during the Depression.
This year marks the 25th anniversary of this award, granted annually to women working at UK who promote the growth and well-being of other women at the university and across the Commonwealth. Two awards will be presented — one to a faculty member and one to a staff member.
The UK Women’s Forum is inviting the campus community to the annual award ceremony and luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, March 28, 2018, at the Woodford Reserve Club at Kroger Field. The Woodford Reserve Club is accessible between gates 10 and 11 in the Blue Lot. Cost is $15 per individual, or departments/offices can purchase a table of eight for $120. Please click here to register and pay for your ticket. The registration deadline is March 19, 2018.
The 2018 nominees are:
- Mary Davis, College of Law;
- Frances Feltner, Center for Excellence in Rural Health;
- Nancy Harrington, Department of Communication;
- Janice Kuperstein, College of Health Sciences;
- Debra Moser, College of Nursing;
- Susan Smyth, Internal Medicine, Physiology;
- Hollie Swanson, Pharmacology and Nutritional Sciences;
- Donna Wilcock, Physiology, Sanders-Brown Center on Aging; and
- Olivia Yinger, Music Therapy.
- Lisa Collins, College of Agriculture, Food and Environment;
- Michelle Del Toro, Gender and Women’s Studies;
- Sarah Geegan, Public Relations;
- Sara Price, Enrollment Management; and
- Lori Tyndall, Geography.
UK is the University for Kentucky. At UK, we are educating more students, treating more patients with complex illnesses and conducting more research and service than at any time in our 150-year history. To read more about the UK story and how you can support continued investment in your university and the Commonwealth, go to: uky.edu/uk4ky. #uk4ky #seeblue