LEXINGTON Ky. (April 28, 2023) — University of Kentucky seniors are gearing up an exciting time, May 2023 Commencement. UK Recycling offers easy ideas to celebrate sustainably.
- Senior photos:
- When taking photos, try confetti alternatives such as bubbles, flowers or even digitally added confetti.
- Recycle the champagne/sparkling grape juice bottle after using it for your photo (don’t forget to pick up the cork).
- An added bonus, caps and gowns purchased from the UK Bookstore are made of 100% post-consumer plastic bottles — which equals 36 plastic bottles.
- Commencement celebrations:
- Only make/order enough food for those planning to attend. This not only helps your wallet but helps reduce food waste.
- Use reusable dishware and utensils instead of single use.
UK Recycling wants to remind staff, faculty and students that what is recyclable on campus is most likely different from what can be recycled at their homes. Check with your local government and recycling centers about what can be recycled at your home.
For more information about recycling at UK click here.
As the state’s flagship, land-grant institution, the University of Kentucky exists to advance the Commonwealth. We do that by preparing the next generation of leaders — placing students at the heart of everything we do — and transforming the lives of Kentuckians through education, research and creative work, service and health care. We pride ourselves on being a catalyst for breakthroughs and a force for healing, a place where ingenuity unfolds. It's all made possible by our people — visionaries, disruptors and pioneers — who make up 200 academic programs, a $476.5 million research and development enterprise and a world-class medical center, all on one campus.
In 2022, UK was ranked by Forbes as one of the “Best Employers for New Grads” and named a “Diversity Champion” by INSIGHT into Diversity, a testament to our commitment to advance Kentucky and create a community of belonging for everyone. While our mission looks different in many ways than it did in 1865, the vision of service to our Commonwealth and the world remains the same. We are the University for Kentucky.