Join the Student Transportation Council
LEXINGTON, Ky. (Oct. 17, 2022) — University of Kentucky’s Student Transportation Council is seeking new student members. Students may submit an application today if they are interested in helping to create and decide on which transportation-related projects receive funding on campus.
As a member of the Student Transportation Council, students play an active role in deciding how funds are allocated for sustainable transportation-related projects. In total, the council oversees the allocation of approximately $250,000 each year.
These funds come from a $5 transportation fee that each student pays as part of their academic fees. This money is used exclusively for projects, programs and partnerships that are designed to enhance automobile-free access to, from and around campus for students.
Previously funded projects include the popular Kentucky Wildcab service, planned construction of a new Wildcat Wheels Bicycle Library shop, extending the campus Yellow Route bus service over the weekend and regional airport shuttle service to area airports during academic breaks.
The council meets once monthly to discuss ideas and review proposals. No experience is necessary! Students can build their resumes, gain leadership experience and exercise their voices in ways that can improve UK’s transportation infrastructure.
Objectives of the Student Transportation Council include:
- Seeking out and implementing transportation-related initiatives and partnerships focused on increasing mobility or expanding transportation options tailored to the unique needs of students.
- Pursuing projects or initiatives that might otherwise be unfunded or underfunded due to other universitywide parking or transportation priorities.
- Exploring pilot programs to test unique or innovative initiatives and then track outcomes and recommend permanent funding alternatives.
- Establishing an ongoing dialogue and partnership between UK Transportation Services and students.
- Raising the awareness of all alternative transportation programs among the student community.
It’s easy to apply. Learn more about the Student Transportation Council here. For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
As the state’s flagship, land-grant institution, the University of Kentucky exists to advance the Commonwealth. We do that by preparing the next generation of leaders — placing students at the heart of everything we do — and transforming the lives of Kentuckians through education, research and creative work, service and health care. We pride ourselves on being a catalyst for breakthroughs and a force for healing, a place where ingenuity unfolds. It's all made possible by our people — visionaries, disruptors and pioneers — who make up 200 academic programs, a $501 million research and development enterprise and a world-class medical center, all on one campus.
In 2022, UK was ranked by Forbes as one of the “Best Employers for New Grads” and named a “Diversity Champion” by INSIGHT into Diversity, a testament to our commitment to advance Kentucky and create a community of belonging for everyone. While our mission looks different in many ways than it did in 1865, the vision of service to our Commonwealth and the world remains the same. We are the University for Kentucky.