LEXINGTON, Ky. (Sept. 18, 2023) — College is a time of major transition. Your academic advisor plays a critical role in helping you with that transition, putting you on the path to success during and after graduation, to make sure you achieve your dreams.
Academic advising at the University of Kentucky is an ongoing educational process that provides assistance in navigating the degree process, connecting you to career pathways and to helpful resources across campus.
Offering an additional layer of support and guidance for students, visiting with your advisor comes with a number of benefits.
Below are eight reasons academic advising is essential in your journey at the university.
- Your advising appointment gives you the opportunity to work with someone who is dedicated to your success.
- Get answers to questions you may have about your major, career or coursework.
- Your academic advising appointment is a good time to make sure that you are on track for timely graduation.
- Academic advisors can help you connect with various campus resources outside of academics, like mental health and financial wellness resources.
- Academic advisors love to celebrate the success that you are having this semester or provide ideas on how to get your academics back on track.
- Keeping a scheduled appointment is a professional expectation and now is a great time to start building that habit.
- Your academic advisor really cares about you and helping you with your academic journey.
- Meeting with your advisor lifts your advising hold allowing you to register for classes.
Academic advising appointments are available for students to schedule in preparation for priority registration.
Scheduling an advising appointment in myUK GPS:
The appointment scheduling feature is located on your myUK GPS homepage.
- Sign in to myUK.
- Under the Student Services tab, select Degree Planning and Registration (myUKGPS).
- Select Make Appointment under your advisor’s name.
- Select available date and time.
- Select your preferred modality.
- Click the Confirm Reservation button to complete scheduling the appointment.
*Please note that Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are the only web browsers compatible with myUK. Using Safari, Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge will lead to compatibility issues.*
If you can’t keep your appointment, please make sure to contact your academic advisor and reschedule just as you would any other scheduled appointment.
As the state’s flagship, land-grant institution, the University of Kentucky exists to advance the Commonwealth. We do that by preparing the next generation of leaders — placing students at the heart of everything we do — and transforming the lives of Kentuckians through education, research and creative work, service and health care. We pride ourselves on being a catalyst for breakthroughs and a force for healing, a place where ingenuity unfolds. It's all made possible by our people — visionaries, disruptors and pioneers — who make up 200 academic programs, a $476.5 million research and development enterprise and a world-class medical center, all on one campus.
In 2022, UK was ranked by Forbes as one of the “Best Employers for New Grads” and named a “Diversity Champion” by INSIGHT into Diversity, a testament to our commitment to advance Kentucky and create a community of belonging for everyone. While our mission looks different in many ways than it did in 1865, the vision of service to our Commonwealth and the world remains the same. We are the University for Kentucky.