LEXINGTON, Ky. (May 15, 2017) — Young women in high school will have the opportunity to explore the world of engineering with University of Kentucky faculty members and students this summer. The Women in Engineering Summer Workshop Series, hosted by the UK College of Engineering, will cover an array of disciplines, from biomedical engineering to mining engineering, through hands-on experiments.
Eight workshops are available for rising sophomores, juniors and seniors who are considering engineering as a major and career. Each workshop is $50 per student and will provide students with knowledge and support to pursue engineering.
Interested students should register soon as spots are filling quickly. Register at https://www.engr.uky.edu/wie-summer-workshops/.
The workshops offered include:
- Computer Science Workshop – students will create an Android app.
- Mechanical Engineering Workshop – students will design, build and launch their own miniature glider.
- Biomedical Engineering Workshop – students will use electrical sensors to listen to the heart, muscles, and brain and make a personal record of their “health profile."
- Biosystems Engineering Workshop – students will make cheese in the food engineering lab and explore the differences in the final product based on various processing choices.
- Civil Engineering Workshop – students will work as a team to construct the components of a medieval weapon.
- Electrical and Computer Engineering Workshop – students will build an electronic keyboard by soldering the components and 3D-printing the case.
- Mining Engineering Workshop – students will design a water spout with explosives, create fireball explosions and test a blast-resistant window.
- Chemical and Materials Engineering Workshop – students will construct thin film membranes used to produce safe drinking water.
Each workshop is offered twice and dates range throughout June. If participants register for all eight workshops, they will attend the 8th workshop for free, paying only $350.
Details on the workshops, including registration and payment information, are available at www.engr.uky.edu/wie-summer-workshops/. Space is limited and all fees must be paid to secure the student's spot after registration.
UK is the University for Kentucky. At UK, we are educating more students, treating more patients with complex illnesses and conducting more research and service than at any time in our 150-year history. To read more about the UK story and how you can support continued investment in your university and the Commonwealth, go to: uky.edu/uk4ky. #uk4ky #seeblue