Orange Lot Parking Capacity Contingency Plan Update
LEXINGTON, Ky. (Oct. 10, 2019) — Effective immediately, the University of Kentucky Orange Route will begin providing bus service to the College Way contingency parking area on a set schedule. The Orange Route extension will operate from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Thursday, as well as during the same time period on the Fridays before home football games.
As first announced on Aug. 22, once the Orange Lot has reached capacity, Transportation Services staff will direct employees seeking periphery parking to the College Way East Lot, a new 300-space periphery (K and EK) parking area located off College Way Drive across from the Motor Pool. Orange Route bus service is extended during this period to serve the College Way parking area.
Over the past seven weeks, implementation of the contingency plan has been communicated through the display of a large orange sail flag at the University Drive entrance to the Orange Lot. However, as the semester has progressed and the campus community has settled into predictable routines, Transportation Services is updating the original contingency plan to standardize the service times associated with bus service to the College Way contingency parking area and discontinue use of the orange flags.
Please see the following updated information on the Orange Lot parking contingency plan:
Arriving on Campus
- Employees who typically arrive to campus prior to 9:30 a.m. should continue to park in the Orange Lot.
- Employees who arrive between 9:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. Monday through Thursday or on the Friday before a home football game are encouraged to proceed directly to the College Way East Lot.
- The Orange Route will extend to serve the College Way East Lot during the above contingency parking period.
- Orange Route buses will pick employees up at the bus stop located at the northwest corner of the College Way East Lot and take them to the typical UK HealthCare bus stops at HSRB and Pavilion A.
- Non-UKHC employees, such as those from the College of Agriculture, Food and Environment, may also use the Orange Route extension and communicate with the driver for service to Agriculture Science Center North or the Kentucky Tobacco Research and Development Center.
- Upon the conclusion of their campus business, employees who parked in the College Way East Lot are asked to simply alert the Orange Route bus drivers that they parked in the College Way East Lot. After serving the Orange Lot, the driver will divert to the College Way Lot to drop the employee off before returning to their regular route.
- The Orange Route operates from 5 a.m. to midnight. Employees requiring shuttle service between midnight and 5 a.m. will still have access to the late night, on-demand bus service, which will also serve the College Way East Lot upon request.
A map showing the location of the College Way East Lot and detailing the Orange Route extension is provided above.
Please email UK Transportation Services, if you have questions or need more information.
As the state’s flagship, land-grant institution, the University of Kentucky exists to advance the Commonwealth. We do that by preparing the next generation of leaders — placing students at the heart of everything we do — and transforming the lives of Kentuckians through education, research and creative work, service and health care. We pride ourselves on being a catalyst for breakthroughs and a force for healing, a place where ingenuity unfolds. It's all made possible by our people — visionaries, disruptors and pioneers — who make up 200 academic programs, a $501 million research and development enterprise and a world-class medical center, all on one campus.
In 2022, UK was ranked by Forbes as one of the “Best Employers for New Grads” and named a “Diversity Champion” by INSIGHT into Diversity, a testament to our commitment to advance Kentucky and create a community of belonging for everyone. While our mission looks different in many ways than it did in 1865, the vision of service to our Commonwealth and the world remains the same. We are the University for Kentucky.