LEXINGTON, Ky. (Oct. 17, 2016) – The University of Kentucky Athletic Department graduate assistants and Student-Athlete Advisory Committee are teaming up with the Lexington Rescue Mission and the “One Warm Coat” foundation to collect coats for the Lexington community. Coats for a Cause invites area residents to make a difference in their neighbors’ lives by donating coats and dollars.
Coats for a Cause is collecting clean, gently used warm coats. All donations will be given to the Lexington Rescue Mission for distribution to local children and adults in need. The process is simple: drop off your extra coat(s) and Coats for a Cause takes care of the rest.
If you would like to help spread the warmth throughout the months of October, November and December, Coats for a Cause will have coat collection bins located all around campus. The specific locations include: Commonwealth Stadium Office Lobby, Joe Craft Center/Memorial Coliseum, Shively Training Facility, and the Wendell and Vickie Bell Soccer Complex. Donations will be accepted at any of these locations from now to Dec. 2.
In addition to having bins set out at these locations, Coats for a Cause also has targeted specific dates they will have collection sites set up for UK sporting events. These dates are listed below:
- Oct. 18: Men’s Soccer v. Bowling Green (Wendell and Vickie Bell Soccer Complex)
- Oct. 21: Volleyball v. South Carolina (Memorial Coliseum)
- Oct. 27: Women’s Soccer v. Georgia (Wendell and Vickie Bell Soccer Complex)
- Oct. 30: Men’s Soccer v. Marshall (Wendell and Vickie Bell Soccer Complex)
- Nov. 3: Women’s Basketball v. Union (Memorial Coliseum)
- Nov. 6: Volleyball v. Missouri (Memorial Coliseum)
- Nov. 11-13: Women’s Basketball KY Classic (Memorial Coliseum)
- Nov. 17: Women’s Basketball v. New Hampshire (Memorial Coliseum)
- Nov. 18: Volleyball v. LSU (Memorial Coliseum)
- Nov. 20: Volleyball v. Texas A&M (Memorial Coliseum)
- Nov. 20: Men’s Basketball v. Duquesne (Rupp Arena)
- Dec. 3: Men’s Basketball v. UCLA (Rupp Arena)
Potential Dates for NCAA Men’s Soccer:
- Nov. 17 (1st Round)
- Nov. 20 (2nd Round)
- Nov. 26/27 (3rd Round)
- Dec. 2/3 (4th Round)
In addition to coats, monetary donations also will be accepted at the above listed men’s basketball games outside Rupp Arena. If you do not have a coat to donate, you can help provide a warmer winter by making a financial donation. You can donate by cash or check during the coat drive. Every dollar helps.
UK Athletics hopes you will support this drive to help collect coats to warm our local neighbors in need.
UK is the University for Kentucky. At UK, we are educating more students, treating more patients with complex illnesses and conducting more research and service than at any time in our 150-year history. To read more about the UK story and how you can support continued investment in your university and the Commonwealth, go to: uky.edu/uk4ky. #uk4ky #seeblue