LEXINGTON, KY. (Oct. 29, 2020) — As the semester nears the end, it is time once again for move-out — much earlier this year. As part of University of Kentucky’s restart plan — to protect the UK community and beyond — final exams were moved to online instruction and students will not return to residence halls after Thanksgiving break. Now the burning question is, what will the spring semester look like?
“The Spring 2021 move-in will look much just like the Fall 2020 move-in, just more condensed. This is because students will not have to take all of their items home,” said Sarah Nikirk, executive director of UK’s Auxiliary Services, “You absolutely do not have to take everything home, just the items you will need for break.”
Earlier this week residents were able to start selecting move-in and move-out appointments through the housing portal via myUK. In January, returning students will be allotted 30 minutes to unload and new residents will be given a full hour. During Move-in, students will still be able to drive up next to their residence hall, unload — with the help of two guests — and then move their car to a normal parking space.
In addition, while the students are away at Winter Break, all of the multi-purpose spaces, including elevators and common rooms, will be sanitized and ready for their return.
“We ask you continue to use your mask and physical distance during your move-in and move-out in order to keep everyone safe,” Nikirk said.
Below are the specifics for the upcoming move-out and move-in.
Fall 2020 Move-out
- Residence halls will close at 5 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2020.
- Please schedule a move-out appointment by Tuesday, Nov. 24, between 1-11 p.m. or Wednesday, Nov. 25, between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Residents are not required to move out all of their belongings from their residence hall, however, please take all belongings you will need over break home with you as the residence halls will be closed.
- Move-out appointments are available to select through the housing portal via myUK.
- Those who need to be granted an exception to stay beyond Nov. 25 are asked to please contact your resident director.
Spring 2021 Move-in
- Residence halls will begin opening Friday, Jan. 22, 2021.
- Residents may schedule a move-in appointment for Jan 22, 23 or 24 between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- Residents for the Spring 2021 semester must move into the hall by 5 p.m. Monday, Jan 25. If they are not able to move in by then, they are asked to contact Campus Housing.
- Move-in appointments are available to select through the housing portal via myUK.
For more information contact UK Housing at email@example.com or at 859-257-1866.
As the state’s flagship, land-grant institution, the University of Kentucky exists to advance the Commonwealth. We do that by preparing the next generation of leaders — placing students at the heart of everything we do — and transforming the lives of Kentuckians through education, research and creative work, service and health care. We pride ourselves on being a catalyst for breakthroughs and a force for healing, a place where ingenuity unfolds. It's all made possible by our people — visionaries, disruptors and pioneers — who make up 200 academic programs, a $476.5 million research and development enterprise and a world-class medical center, all on one campus.
In 2022, UK was ranked by Forbes as one of the “Best Employers for New Grads” and named a “Diversity Champion” by INSIGHT into Diversity, a testament to our commitment to advance Kentucky and create a community of belonging for everyone. While our mission looks different in many ways than it did in 1865, the vision of service to our Commonwealth and the world remains the same. We are the University for Kentucky.