LEXINGTON, Ky. (Nov. 2, 2016) — The University of Kentucky Libraries is pleased to announce the opening call for the inaugural Dean’s Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Scholarship for the 2016-17 academic year.
The award will recognize and celebrate exceptional, original scholarship and research by UK undergraduates whose research projects make substantive and creative use of the UK Libraries’ collections, services and resources.
“UK Libraries is very pleased to draw attention to the scholarship, innovation and creativity of UK undergraduate students with this award," Dean of Libraries Terry Birdwhistell said. “This award is another opportunity for UK Libraries to contribute to student success and recognize the important role that library resources play in research by UK students and faculty.”
Submissions are encouraged from all disciplines. Awards are judged on how well the student’s project demonstrates information literacy skills and the effective use of library resources. The deadline to apply is March 15, 2017.
Examples of possible projects include:
- written essay or research project in any field;
- documentary, podcast, interview or any other multimedia project;
- performance art project, performance, choreography or other original work;
- studio art project including but not limited to: painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking or environmental art;
- original science, mathematics, physics or engineering project; or
- recorded presentation in any field or discipline.
A cash prize of $1,000 will be awarded each year. The student winner and their faculty sponsor(s) will be honored at a special event in the spring.
UK is the University for Kentucky. At UK, we are educating more students, treating more patients with complex illnesses and conducting more research and service than at any time in our 150-year history. To read more about the UK story and how you can support continued investment in your university and the Commonwealth, go to: uky.edu/uk4ky. #uk4ky #seeblue