The event, which starts at 7 p.m. in the Gatton Student Center Worsham Theater, is free and open to the public.
In collaboration with the Office of Student Organizations and Activities (housed in the Office for Student Success) and the Media Depot, the UKY Film Festival celebrates and showcases the creative expression of student filmmakers.
Following the event, there will be an after party and filmmaker meet-and-greet at the Cornerstone Innovation Space (by the UK Federal Credit Union eSports Lounge).
All UK students are eligible to submit a film or media project for consideration. They are reviewed by a panel of judges composed of local media industry professionals. Awards are sponsored by Courage Media — an award-winning local media production company.
Seven awards will be presented on the night of the festival.
- Audience Choice: Selected by the live viewing audience the night of the show.
- Best of Show Fiction: Awarded to the narrative fiction film with the highest combined judges scores.
- Best of Show Nonfiction: Awarded to the nonfiction film with the highest combined judges scores.
- Best Documentary: Awarded to the documentary film with the highest combined judges scores.
- Best Animation: The best-animated film with the highest combined judge scores.
- Best Performance: Best performance will be awarded to a UK student actor or actress in a narrative fiction role.
- Honorable Mention: Favorite film determined by the selection committee.
In addition to the awards, winning filmmakers will be invited to tour The Media Collaboratory (a co-sponsor of the film festival) production studio located in downtown Lexington. Founded in 1982, Media Collaboratory is an award-winning, boutique-style, video production house that creates "script-to-screen" design for customers around the globe.
The University of Kentucky is increasingly the first choice for students, faculty and staff to pursue their passions and their professional goals. In the last two years, Forbes has named UK among the best employers for diversity, and INSIGHT into Diversity recognized us as a Diversity Champion four years running. UK is ranked among the top 30 campuses in the nation for LGBTQ* inclusion and safety. UK has been judged a “Great College to Work for" three years in a row, and UK is among only 22 universities in the country on Forbes' list of "America's Best Employers." We are ranked among the top 10 percent of public institutions for research expenditures — a tangible symbol of our breadth and depth as a university focused on discovery that changes lives and communities. And our patients know and appreciate the fact that UK HealthCare has been named the state’s top hospital for five straight years. Accolades and honors are great. But they are more important for what they represent: the idea that creating a community of belonging and commitment to excellence is how we honor our mission to be not simply the University of Kentucky, but the University for Kentucky.