The event, which starts at 7 p.m. in the Gatton Student Center Worsham Theater, is free and open to the public.
In collaboration with the Office of Student Organizations and Activities (housed in the Office for Student Success) and the Media Depot, the UKY Film Festival celebrates and showcases the creative expression of student filmmakers.
Following the event, there will be an after party and filmmaker meet-and-greet at the Cornerstone Innovation Space (by the UK Federal Credit Union eSports Lounge).
All UK students are eligible to submit a film or media project for consideration. They are reviewed by a panel of judges composed of local media industry professionals. Awards are sponsored by Courage Media — an award-winning local media production company.
Seven awards will be presented on the night of the festival.
- Audience Choice: Selected by the live viewing audience the night of the show.
- Best of Show Fiction: Awarded to the narrative fiction film with the highest combined judges scores.
- Best of Show Nonfiction: Awarded to the nonfiction film with the highest combined judges scores.
- Best Documentary: Awarded to the documentary film with the highest combined judges scores.
- Best Animation: The best-animated film with the highest combined judge scores.
- Best Performance: Best performance will be awarded to a UK student actor or actress in a narrative fiction role.
- Honorable Mention: Favorite film determined by the selection committee.
In addition to the awards, winning filmmakers will be invited to tour The Media Collaboratory (a co-sponsor of the film festival) production studio located in downtown Lexington. Founded in 1982, Media Collaboratory is an award-winning, boutique-style, video production house that creates "script-to-screen" design for customers around the globe.
As the state’s flagship, land-grant institution, the University of Kentucky exists to advance the Commonwealth. We do that by preparing the next generation of leaders — placing students at the heart of everything we do — and transforming the lives of Kentuckians through education, research and creative work, service and health care. We pride ourselves on being a catalyst for breakthroughs and a force for healing, a place where ingenuity unfolds. It's all made possible by our people — visionaries, disruptors and pioneers — who make up 200 academic programs, a $476.5 million research and development enterprise and a world-class medical center, all on one campus.
In 2022, UK was ranked by Forbes as one of the “Best Employers for New Grads” and named a “Diversity Champion” by INSIGHT into Diversity, a testament to our commitment to advance Kentucky and create a community of belonging for everyone. While our mission looks different in many ways than it did in 1865, the vision of service to our Commonwealth and the world remains the same. We are the University for Kentucky.