LEXINGTON, Ky. (Dec. 20, 2013) — As you head out for the holiday break, consider these energy saving tips from University of Kentucky Sustainability Coordinator Shane Tedder and Energy Engineer Britney Thompson:
- Power down your computer.
- Unplug appliances such as coffee pots, printers, microwaves etc.
- Make sure windows are shut tightly.
- Dial your thermostat back to 60 degrees before you head out (if you can control it).
- Turn off all lights (including your Christmas lights).
This time last year, it cost about $70,000 per day for central electricity and steam to be provided for campus. These simple efforts will avoid wasted energy and reduce costs. The campus community is encouraged to contribute to UK’s ongoing efforts to promote sustainability through both environmental stewardship and fiscal responsibility.
The Delta Room, UK’s Centralized Energy Management and Control Center, focuses on conservation and efficiency on a daily basis and annually saves the university more than $3.5 million in utility costs.