LEXINGTON, Ky. (Aug. 16, 2017) — University of Kentucky Police issued a crime bulletin today following report of someone setting fire to a flier in Jewell Hall:
In the interest of safety, the University of Kentucky Police Department has issued the following Crime Bulletin for the UK community.
On Tuesday, August 15, 2017, the University of Kentucky Police Department received a report of damage caused by a small fire to an elevator in Jewell Hall, 344 South Martin Luther King Blvd. A paper flier that hung in the elevator was burned, also causing damage to the protective tarp that covers the elevator walls. The flier was hung in the elevator on August 11, 2017 and the fire damage was noticed on August 15, 2017. There was minimal damage and no injuries were reported.
The University of Kentucky values a safe community for all students, staff, faculty, and visitors. In the interest of promoting a safe and secure campus environment, UK Police offer the following safety precautions:
- If you see something, say something. For emergencies, call 911.
- Carry a cell phone to be able to call for help in emergencies.
- In the event that you smell smoke, dial 911 immediately.
- If you locate a fire, pull a fire alarm and then dial 911. Do NOT attempt to extinguish a fire unless you are properly trained to do so.
- Anytime a fire alarm is activated, EVACUATE the building immediately.
- Know the primary and secondary escape routes for each of your locations, should an actual fire occur.
University of Kentucky Police Department has issued this Crime Bulletin for the UK Community in compliance with the “Timely Notice” provision of the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Police and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1998.
If anyone has information to report about this incident, please contact UK Police at (859) 257-8573.