LEXINGTON, Ky. (March 7, 2022) — Spring Break originated in the late 1920s in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, by a swimming coach at Colgate University. Over time, the American tradition has grown into a phenomenon where thousands of college-aged students escape to sunny and far-away locales.
To help ensure an enjoyable Spring Break, the University of Kentucky Police Department urges the following safety tips.
- Do your homework:
- If going out of the country: be aware of travel alerts, know the laws, and make copies of your ID, medical insurance and passport. Keep them separate from you in a hotel safe. You could also scan them to your mobile device.
- Know reputable cab or rideshare services along with the address of where you are staying. If out of the country, have the number and location of the nearest embassy or consulate.
- If driving: do a maintenance check of your vehicle, have a valid driver’s license, current vehicle registration and proof of insurance.
- Be Smart:
- Have a code word or signal to let your friends know you are in an uncomfortable situation. Always stay with your friends and leave with your friends.
- Avoid using your own bank debit card. Determine if your credit card and/or debit card will be accepted in the country you are visiting. By the way, don’t carry them with you. Leave them in a hotel safe. Carry the minimum of cash instead.
- Utilize available safety resources:
- If you need help, ask for it. Call 9-1-1 immediately if you suspect alcohol poisoning. Symptoms include confusion, vomiting, seizures, slow or irregular breathing, blue-tinged or pale skin, hypothermia or unconsciousness.
- If traveling abroad enroll in the U.S. State Department’s smart traveler enrollment program
- Don’t share too much information on social media. Adjust your privacy settings and be cautious about revealing personal information and specifics while on Spring Break.
- Don’t partake in risky behavior: never leave drinks unattended, don’t accept drinks from strangers, don’t drink to excess and never get behind the wheel when drinking.
Spring Break housing hours can be found here.
Dining Spring Break hours can be found here.
As the state’s flagship, land-grant institution, the University of Kentucky exists to advance the Commonwealth. We do that by preparing the next generation of leaders — placing students at the heart of everything we do — and transforming the lives of Kentuckians through education, research and creative work, service and health care. We pride ourselves on being a catalyst for breakthroughs and a force for healing, a place where ingenuity unfolds. It's all made possible by our people — visionaries, disruptors and pioneers — who make up 200 academic programs, a $476.5 million research and development enterprise and a world-class medical center, all on one campus.
In 2022, UK was ranked by Forbes as one of the “Best Employers for New Grads” and named a “Diversity Champion” by INSIGHT into Diversity, a testament to our commitment to advance Kentucky and create a community of belonging for everyone. While our mission looks different in many ways than it did in 1865, the vision of service to our Commonwealth and the world remains the same. We are the University for Kentucky.